Elana Baurer practices in the areas of employment law and immigration law. Ms. Baurer is a 2013 graduate of Georgetown University Law Center, where she was special events editor of the Immigration Law Journal. She published a note in the 2013 Immigration Law Journal entitled, Unknown and Unaddressed: The Educational Needs of Afghan Refugee Children in Urban Areas of Pakistan. She is a graduate of Wesleyan University, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She is fluent in Spanish and has basic proficiency in Hebrew.
•Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2013-present
•Georgetown Juvenile Justice Clinic, Juvenile Defender, Washington, D.C., 2012-2013
- - Represented juvenile offenders in delinquency cases, counseled clients regarding collateral immigration consequences for their charges, mediated between clients and their parents and other authority figures, advocated for clients with schools, counselors, probation officers, prosecutors and judges.
•Human Rights Fact-Finding Mission, Researcher and Advocate, Washington, D.C., 2011-2012
- Conducted original research including interviewing 120 stakeholders in the juvenile justice system
- Produced a report examining how students who have been excluded from public schools through suspension, expulsion, or involvement with the juvenile justice system are unable to return to a meaningful or mainstream educational setting. Developed advocacy strategy and documents, met with policymakers.
•Human Rights Watch (HRW), Legal Intern, New York, NY, Winter 2011-Spring 2012
- Researched statutory provisions about the incarceration and isolation of youth in adult facilities to develop litigation strategy.
- Designed interview questions, conducted phone interviews with jail administrators.
•Washington Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights: DC Prisoner’s Project, Legal Intern, Washington, D.C., Fall 2011
- Researched potential claims for incarcerated DC residents, corresponded with clients regarding their cases, visited and interviewed clients in the DC Jail.
- Conducted support research for staff attorneys.
•Capitol Area Immigrant Rights (CAIR) Coalition, Legal Intern, Washington, D.C.. Summer 2011
- Conducted legal research and analysis with a focus on the immigration consequences of criminal convictions.
- Under attorney supervision, represented a client applying for relief by collecting documents, preparing witnesses, completing forms, and writing a brief.
- Participated in jail visits.
Honors & Awards
•Tribe 12 Jewish Entrepreneurial Fellowship 2013-2014
•Public Interest 1L of the Year 2010-2011
•Hispanic Bar Association of DC Grant Recipient 2011
•Co-author, U.S. Department of Labor Announces Final Rule Raising Minimum Wage for Federal Contract Workers, Duane Morris Alert, October 9, 2014; republished on Mondaq Business Briefing, October 13, 2014
•Author, Finding the Right Mix of Mentors in Your First Year, The Legal Intelligencer, September 23, 2014
•Co-author, U.S. Department of Labor Proposes Pay Transparency Rule for Employees of Federal Contractors, Duane Morris Alert, September 19, 2014
•Author, Philadelphia Ordinance Provides New Protections for Breastfeeding Mothers, Duane Morris Alert, September 4, 2014
•Author, U.S. Department of Labor Proposes Rule to Collect Compensation Data from Federal Contractors, Duane Morris Alert, August 12, 2014
•Author, EEOC Issues New Enforcement Guidance on Pregnancy Discrimination, Duane Morris Alert, July 15, 2014
•Co-author, DHS Proposes Rule for H-4 Employment Authorization, Duane Morris Alert, May 20, 2014
•Co-author, New Jersey Voters Approve Minimum Wage Increase, Duane Morris Alert, November 8, 2013
•Co-author, New Jersey Superior Court Rules That Same-Sex Marriages Must Be Allowed, Duane Morris Alert, October 7, 2013
•Co-author, OFCCP Issues Revised Affirmative Action Regulations for Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities, Duane Morris Alert, September 23, 2013
• Unknown and Unaddressed: The Educational Needs of Afghan Refugee Children in Urban Areas of Pakistan, Georgetown Immigration Law Journal (2013)
•Author, Diaspora and Belonging: Black Jewish Americans and the State of Israel: Black Jewish Americans and their Relationships with the State of Israel, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, August 17, 2011