Betsy is an experienced trial lawyer with deep knowledge of business fraud, high technology/trade secret, corporate governance, and fiduciary duty matters. She served for 10 years as the Chair of Mintz Levin's Litigation Practice and in other firm management roles.
She writes and lectures frequently on corporate governance issues and is the author of a chapter in the recently published book,The World's Foremost Authorities on Corporate Government & Compliance.
Betsy advises corporate directors with respect to corporate governance issues and fiduciary duties. She also represents life sciences and medical device corporations involved in trade secret litigation. Her jury trial experience is diverse, and she has experience in high-profile litigation that requires strategic advice that integrates issues relating to the media, advocacy groups, and government relations. Her client matters have been profiled in theNew York Times,Wall Street Journal,Fortune,Forbes,Newsweek, and on CNBC, and she has appeared in courts throughout the country.
She is married and has two children.
• Seventy-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.21.2013)
• Sixty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Edition, (08.15.2013)
• Seventy-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.22.2012)
• Sixty Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 Edition, (08.24.2012)
• Fifty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.21.2011)
• Forty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.19.2010)
• Mintz Levin Represents Axsun Technologies Inc. in Trade Secret Victory, (10.08.2010)
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.27.2009)
• Elizabeth B. Burnett and Tracy A. Miner Inducted as Fellows into Prestigious Litigation Counsel of America, (11.04.2008)
• Forty-Six Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.29.2008)
• Forty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.25.2007)
Recognitions & Awards
• Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Business Litigation (since 2004)
• Corporate Counsel Magazine: Top Attorneys in Business Litigation in the United States (since 2008)
• Best Lawyers in America: Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2013)
• Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation (2014)
• Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
Author,Don't Win the Battle but Lose the War,Westlaw Journal: Corporate Officers & Directors Liability (04.09.2012)
• Author,Fiduciary Duties of Corporate Directors,ExecSense (2012)
• Co-author,Shareholder Agreements in Closely Held Massachusetts Corporations,Litigation Advisory (05.20.2011)
• Author,How Boards Fared in the Courts: 10 Top Cases of 2008,Director & Boards Magazine Annual Report (01.2009)
• Co-author,How the Boards Fared in the Courts: 10 Top Cases of 2008,Director & Boards Magazine Annual Report (2009)
• Author,The New and Emerging Fiduciary Duties of Corporate Directors,Bank Director Magazine (2009)
Speaker,Boardroom Excellence Workshop, New Directions, Inc., Boston, MA (03.03.2010)
• Speaker,Serving as a Director of a Financially Distressed Company, Corporate Directors Group, Dedham, MA (06.16.2009)
• Speaker,Corporate Governance Experts: When, How, and Why Are They Helpful, Litigation Counsel of America, Santa Fe, NM (05.08.2009)
• Speaker,Can They Untie the Guardian Knot? The Quagmire in the Use of Experts, Litigation Counsel of America 2009 Spring Conference, Santa Fe, CA (05.07.2009)
• Speaker,Hot Topics for Corporate Directors in Times of Financial Crisis, Corporate Directors Group, New York, NY (03.31.2009)