Eric Roher is National Leader of the Education Focus Group at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP. Eric practises in the areas of education law, labour relations and employment law. He advises a range of public and private sector employers, as well as school boards and independent schools. He also represents clients before administrative tribunals and labour relations boards, including the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, the Ontario Labour Relations Board and the Ontario College of Teachers.
· Advises employers on a range of labour relations matters, including the grievance procedure, certification, negotiation and interpretation and administration of collective agreements.
· Advises school boards and independent schools on education law issues, including student discipline, human rights, freedom of information, teacher misconduct and special education.
· Advises a range of public sector and private sector employers on employment law issues, including employee handbooks, mandatory retirement, policies and procedures, severance arrangements and employment agreements.
· Advises clients regarding pension issues, relevant legislation and the administration of pension plans.
Publications & Presentations
Eric is a frequent blogger on the "BLG Not-for-Profit and Charity Law in Canada Blog". This Blog is intended to be of value to anyone in Canada who has any involvement with Not-For-Profit Organizations or Charities.
· Author, Ontario Employment Standards Act: Quick Reference, 2013 Edition, Carswell (with Melanie A. Warner).
· Author, An Educator's Guide to Violence in Schools, 2nd Edition, Canada Law Book, 2010.
· Author, An Educator's Guide to the Role of the Principal, 2nd Edition, Canada Law Book, 2008 (with Simon Wormwell).
· Author, An Educator's Guide to Safe Schools, Canada Law Book, 2004 (with Robert W. Weir).
· Author, Violence in the Workplace, 2nd Edition, Carswell, 2004.
· Editor, BLG's Education Law Newsletter, a quarterly publication on current and emerging education law issues.
· Developer and Speaker, six leading education law videos produced by Canada Law Book: Violence in Schools; Search and Seizure; Racial and Sexual Harassment; Negligence and Liability; Suspension and Expulsion; and Medication and Medical Treatment.
· Author, numerous magazine and journal articles related to his practice areas.
· Author/Speaker, various employment law and education law programs and conferences for numerous organizations, including the Education & Law Journal, Canadian Association for the Practical Study of Law in Education, Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario, The Canadian Institute, Insight, Strategy Institute, Lancaster House and the Ontario Hospital Association.
· Keynote Speaker on the New Ontario Safe Schools Landscape, Task Force on Cyberbullying, established by the Province of Nova Scotia, Halifax, September 12, 2011.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Lifetime Achievement Award, Canadian Association for the Practical Study of Law in Education, May 2011.
· The Arbour Award for outstanding volunteer service to the University of Toronto, September 15, 2008.
· Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada (Education Law).
· Co-Chair (with Anthony F. Brown), LawWorks: Education Law Institute, organized by OISE/University of Toronto on November 2, 2012
· Adjunct Professor, "Youth & the Law," University of Toronto Faculty of Law
· Member, Policy and Research Advisory Council, The Learning Partnership