Eric W. Swanis is an experienced trial lawyer who represents local, national and international companies in a wide array of complex litigation cases, including financial services, bankruptcy, product liability, business and shareholder disputes, technology, intellectual property, employment, construction, mechanic's lien, and real estate matters. A native of Nevada, Eric has wide-ranging experience trying and arbitrating cases in both federal and state courts.
Areas of Concentration
· Financial services litigation
· Complex litigation
· Business law and litigation
· Intellectual property litigation
· Personal injury litigation
· Real estate law and litigation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board Member, U.S. Office of Personnel Management
· Coach/Manager, Warriors Baseball Club
· Faculty Member, Greenberg Traurig, Trial Skills Academy
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Clark County Bar Association
· Member, Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce
· Member, Nevada Trial Lawyers Association
· Member, North Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce
· Member, State Bar of Nevada
· Volunteer, Shade Tree Shelter for Abused Children
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2013-2014
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2012-2013
· Listed, Nevada Business magazine, "Southern Nevada Legal Elite," 2010
· Recipient, U.S. Office of Personnel Management, Presidential Rank Award Recipient, 2002
· Defended numerous lenders and loan servicers in borrower suits alleging inter alia, wrongful foreclosure, unfair trade practices, unfair lending practices, breach of fiduciary duty and quiet title claims.
· Secured loan modification and short pay-off agreements in numerous matters.
· Acted as primary counsel in mass tort litigation involving thousands of plaintiffs alleging strict product liability claims against several of the world's largest pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers.
· Obtained settlement in failure to warn claim against national pharmaceutical company.
· Defended hedge fund sued by significant number of investors in U.S. Federal District Court and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit against allegations of improper servicing of securitized assets.
· Prosecuted patent infringement claims against numerous international automotive part manufacturers.
· Defended one of Mexico's largest real estate developers against $35 million joint venture and unlawful circumvention claim relating to a Las Vegas resort and casino.
· Represented Taiwanese company in fraud and breach of contract claim involving more than $230 million in damages claims over Las Vegas resort.
· Defended Japanese mortgage investment bank affiliate against fraud and breach of contract claim involving damages exceeding $1 million.
· Defeated claim for specific performance and lis pendens, on $62 million real estate contract, asserted against a Las Vegas hotel and casino.
· Defended prominent computer manufacturer against breach of contract claim involving more than $40 million in claimed damages.
· Prosecuted defective software claim and obtained proprietary source code on behalf of gaming company against software manufacturer.
· Defended jewelry manufacturer against trademark infringement claims involving national advertising.
· Prosecuted defective elevator claim against national elevator company and state university.
· Prosecuted claim against former employee of national company for breach of employment contract and duty of confidentiality.
· Defended Wall Street bank and international insurance company against bad faith claim involving death of insured.
· Licensed Broker/Salesman, 2005
· Legislative Internship, U.S. House of Representatives
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Co-Author, "New Rules Governing Expert Witnesses in Federal Court," Communiqué, January 2011
· Speaker, "Challenges and Solutions in Bankruptcy for Southern Nevada Businesses," 2009
· Speaker, "Trial Preparation for Paralegals," 2003