Evan A. Belosa is an experienced litigator, negotiator and counselor, focusing his practice on all aspects of executive employment and compensation matters.
In the scope of his practice, Evan represents individuals from virtually every industry across the United States, with a specific focus on executive officers and employees at all levels of the financial services industry. In addition to individuals, he also represents institutions in all aspects of the employer/employee relationship, including commercial banks, investment banks, broker-dealers, hedge funds and research providers. Evan also has significant experience in the areas of executive compensation and employee benefits, and has frequently represented both management teams and employers in designing and drafting compensation structures and plans.
In representing his clients, Evan has a wide range of experience negotiating and drafting agreements of all kinds, including sophisticated employment agreements, consulting and independent contractor agreements, restrictive covenant clauses and agreements, confidentiality agreements, equity plan documents, and separation and release agreements. He is also a seasoned practitioner litigating matters for both employers and employees in claims arising from employee/employer disputes, with experience mediating, arbitrating and litigating claims in state and federal courts, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, the American Arbitration Association and private dispute resolution services.
Evan is a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. He is the author of “ The Devil in the Details: Termination Provision, Non-Competition Clauses” and “ Finding the Balance Between Flexibility and Uniformity in Modern Executive Employment Agreements,” published in the 2013 edition of Inside the Minds, Negotiation and Drafting Employment Agreements, and “ A Practitioner's Guide to Negotiating Good Reason Clauses for Executives,” published in the September/October 2010 issue of Compensation & Benefits Review.
Evan earned his BA, summa cum laude, from Emory University, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and his JD, cum laude, from Harvard Law School. He is admitted to practice in New York and New Jersey, and the U.S. District Courts for the District of New Jersey and the Southern District of New York.
Among his significant litigation representations, Evan has:
• Represented a former Chief Technology Officer in successful litigation against his former employer for claims brought against him alleging theft of trade secrets;
• Represented an employer in an arbitration against former employees for their breaches of a purchase agreement and employment agreements under the faithless servant doctrine;
• Represented an employer in an arbitration brought against the employer by a former employee on a host of compensation-related claims.
• Represented a former employee in successfully bringing an arbitration against his former employer for breach of contract for failure to pay a bonus mandated in the employee's contract.
• Represented a former employee in successfully bringing an arbitration for fraudulent inducement and an action in state court for age discrimination against his former employer.