Francoise Gilbert focuses her practice on U.S. and global data privacy and security in a wide variety of markets, including, among others, cloud computing, big data, connected devices, robots and other emerging technologies. Her clients include public or multinational entities, cloud service providers, big data analytics companies, connected device developers, B2C and B2B businesses, publishers, Internet stores, insurance companies, manufacturers, service providers, trade associations, non-profit organizations, software developers, and others.
With more than 30 years of experience addressing cutting edge domestic and international computer, Internet and data protection issues, she brings a unique combination of practical business acumen, sharp legal skills, deep regulatory knowledge, and extensive experience of the information technology markets.
Covering the entire privacy and security spectrum, she counsels clients on complex issues related to evaluating and strategically managing privacy, security, and e-business risks. She assists in the design of product and services to help meet the company's objectives within the constraints of compliance requirements; the development of internal programs to help drive a culture of privacy across entire organizations; product development strategies aimed at meeting the privacy-by-design and security-be-design principles; the development and implementation of information privacy and security strategies and compliance programs; and addressing privacy and security in mergers and acquisitions, and other corporate and commercial transactions.
A sought after speaker, Francoise Gilbert has been featured on numerous panels throughout the United States and internationally on privacy, security, cloud computing, connected objects, smart cities, robot law, risk management, outsourcing, information technology, and e-business law by industry groups, bar associations and trade associations.
In addition, Ms. Gilbert is the author of the leading two-volume treatise Global Privacy and Security Law which covers in depth the privacy and data protection laws of 68 countries on all continents. She has also written numerous chapters in collective works and has published hundreds of articles in peer-reviewed publications, professional journals and magazines on privacy, security, emerging technologies, compliance, cybercrime, outsourcing, workplace privacy, information law, data governance, Internet law, ecommerce, children protection, and comparative law.
• Founding Member and Lead Outside Counsel, Cloud Security Alliance, 2009-Present
• Lecturer, San Jose State University, Graduate Program in Entrepreneurship, 2005-Present
• Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago, Graduate School of Health Information Science, 1992-2012
Associated News & Events
11.10.15 Greenberg Traurig's Francoise Gilbert to Speak on Ad Blocking Trends for the Interactive Advertising Bureau
10.21.15 Greenberg Traurig's Francoise Gilbert to Speak at the Symposium on Credit Reporting in Asia Pacific and Personal Data Protection in Xi' an, China
09.28.15 Greenberg Traurig's Francoise Gilbert to Speak at IAPP Privacy Academy and CSA Congress' Privacy. Security. Risk. 2015
08.24.15 Internationally Renowned Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Attorney Francoise Gilbert Joins Greenberg Traurig's Silicon Valley Office
10.26.15 Invalidation of the Safe Harbor: Will It Cause the Adoption of Data Silos?
10.21.15 Safe Harbor Invalidation Enforcement Might Commence in January 2016
10.06.15 UPDATE:U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Invalidated by European Court of Justice
Articles, Publications, & Lectures
Blog and Articles
• Editor, Francoise Gilbert Blog
• Author, Invalidation of the Safe Harbor: Will It Cause the Adoption of Data Silos? BNA Privacy & Security Law Report, October 26, 2015
• Featured Interview, Francoise Gilbert Navigates The Tempest Over US-EU Safe Harbor, Web Master Radio, October 25, 2015
• Quoted, Law Tightens Police Cellphone Searches, Daily Journal, October 12, 2015
• Quoted, Governor Signs Privacy Bill, Law Enforcement Scrambles to Adjust, Daily Journal, October 12, 2015
• Quoted, EU Ruling Means More Paperwork for Tech Firms, The Information, October 8, 2015
• Co-Author, UPDATE:U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Invalidated by European Court of Justice, GT Alerts, October 6, 2015
• Quoted, Dubai: Safe Harbor Ruling Results in 'Domino Effect, ' Data Guidance, May 11, 2015
• Author and Editor, Global Privacy and Security Law, (2 volumes), Aspen / Wolters Kluwer Law and Business, 2009-Present
• Co-Author, Privacy Compliance and Litigation in California, CEB, 2009-2014
• Co-Author, HIPAA Security Standards, ABA Publications, 2007
• Co-Author, Business Process Outsourcing Transactions, Wiley, 2007
• Co-Author, Technology Outsourcing Transactions, Wiley, 2005
• Co-Author, International Guide to Cyber Security, ABA Publications, 2004
• Co-Author, International Guide to Privacy, ABA Publications, 2003
• Co-Author, International Guide to Combating Cybercrime, ABA Publications, 2002
• Co-Author, Comprehensive Guide to Electronic Health Records, Faulkner & Gray, 2000
• Co-Author, Comprehensive Guide to Electronic Health Records, Faulkner & Gray, 1999