Mark practices in the area of financial services and business transactions. He represents major banks and financial institutions in a wide-range of financing transactions and restructurings together with bankruptcy, debtor/creditor issues, commercial lending and business litigation. He also represents small to mid-size companies with their formation, organization, ownership agreements and acquisitions. Mark is panel arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association.
Of Particular Note:
· AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· Selected for inclusion in 2013 Great Plains Super Lawyers in the field of Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights (Super Lawyers: 2012-2013)
· Certified Mediator and Arbitrator
Experience & Professional Activities
Chair: Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C. Executive Committee 2014
· Member: Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C. Executive Committee, 2008-
· Member with Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C. since 2002
· Mediator: Polk County, 1992-
· Founding Member with Adams & Rice, P.L.C., Des Moines, Iowa, 1996-2002
· Shareholder with Adams & Howe, P.C., Des Moines, Iowa, 1987-1996
· Attorney with Baron & Wenell, Sioux City, Iowa, 1985-1987
· Attorney with Cooper, Sinnard, Cooper, Forest City, Iowa, 1983-1985
Professional Activities and Affiliations:
· American Arbitration Association (Commercial Panel Arbitrator, 1995-)
· American Bankruptcy Institute
· American Bar Association (Sections: Business Law; Real Property, Probate & Trust Law)
· Federal Bar Association
· Iowa Association of Business & Industry (Chair: Economic Development Committee, 1994-1995)
· Iowa State Bar Association (Sections: Business Law; Commercial & Bankruptcy Law; Real Estate & Title Law; Insurance Plans Committee, 1991-; Contributor: Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Section Newsletter, 1993-; Annual Meeting Committee, 1995-1998; Chair: Real Estate & Title Section, 1990-1991; Chair: Business Law Section Legislative Subcommittee, 1993-; Chair: Young Lawyers' Division Real Estate Committee, 1990-1991; Justice for All Committee, 1992-1993)
· National Arbitration Forum
· Nebraska State Bar Association
· Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
· Polk County Bar Association (CLE Committee, 1987-1989; Real Estate Title Committee, 1993-1994)
Seminars Recently Attended:
· American Bar Association 2011 Business Law Spring Meeting; Boston, Massachusetts
· 10th Annual M&A Advisor Awards, New York, New York, 2011; counsel for recipient of award for Lower Middle Market Deal of the Year
· American Bar Association 2010 Banking Law Meeting
· American Bar Association 2009 Business Law Spring Meeting
· American Bar Association 2008 Business Law Meeting
· Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions, San Francisco, California, 2007
Cases, Presentations & Publications
· In re Highside Pork L.L.C.; Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Innovative Ag Service Company et. al. 450 B.R. 173 (Bkrtcy N.D.Iowa 2011)
· In re Shulista; Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Tama Benton Cooperative et al. 451 B.R. 867 (Bkrtcy N.D.Iowa 2011)
· Wells Fargo Bank Minnesota, N.A. v. Robex, Inc., 711 N.W.2d 732 (Iowa App. 2006)
· Agriliance L.L.C. v. Runnells Grain Elevator Inc., 272 F. Supp. 800 (S.D. Iowa 2003)
· Agriliance L.L.C. v. Farmpro Services, 52 UCC Rep., Serv. 2d 36 (S.D. Iowa 2003)
· Fox v. Polk County Board of Supervisors, 569 N.W.2d 563 (Iowa 1997)
· FDIC v. Prusia, 18 F.3d 637 (8th Cir. 1994)
· In Re Grimm, 145 BR 994 (Bkrtcy S.D. 1992)
· FDIC v. Krause, 904 F.2d 463 (8th Cir. 1990)
· FDIC v. Hartwig, 463 N.W.2d 2 (Iowa 1990)
· Matter of Estate of Thies, 463 N.W.2d 40 (Iowa 1990)
· In Re Colsden, 105 BR 500 (N.D. Iowa 1988)
· Matter of Halls, 79 BR 417 (Bkrtcy S.D. Iowa 1987)
· In Re Waldo, 70 BR 16 (Bkrtcy N.D. Iowa 1986)
· Federal Land Bank v. Wolff, 393 N.W.2d 329 (Iowa 1986)
Selected Publications, Presentations and Teaching Appointments:
· Presenter, SCORE Annual Small Business Conference, Des Moines Area Community College.
· Presenter, Iowa State Bar Association Commercial & Bankruptcy Seminar.
· Presenter, "Credit Card Dischargeability Issues," Federal Bar Association Seminar.
· Presenter, "Choice of Business Entities," Small Business Entrepreneur Class.
· Presenter, "Bankruptcy Procedures in Iowa," Robert Morris Seminar.
· Presenter, "Effective Mortgage Foreclosure Techniques," National Business Institute, Inc.
· Presenter, "Advanced Collections and the Bankruptcy Process in Iowa," National Business Institute, Inc.
· Presenter, Federal Bar Association's Eleventh Annual Bankruptcy Conference.
· Presenter, "Business, Torts and Damages," Drake University Law School.
· Presenter, "Foreclosure and Repossession in Iowa: How To Do It Right," National Business Institute, Inc.
· Presenter, Iowa State Bar Association's Bridge the Gap Seminar.
Civic & Volunteer Activities
· Rotary Club of Des Moines
· St. Augustin School, Des Moines, Iowa (President: Board of Education, 2006-07; Mock Trial Coach 2003-2004; 2009)
· Rotary Club of West Des Moines (Board of Directors-Community Service, 1998-2002)
· United Way of Central Iowa (Corporate Call, 1993)