Gareth is a litigator in the Litigation practice in Edwards Wildman's London office. He is a UK qualified solicitor and New York admitted attorney whose practice focuses on the resolution of technology and intellectual property disputes. Gareth is regularly called upon by clients to urgently resolve cross-border disputes involving the technology, financial services, luxury goods and creative industries.
Gareth works to ensure the proper exploitation of IP rights both locally and internationally and especially in the online environment. His work involves formulating digital strategies, tackling Internet fraud and the misappropriation of protected works, and acting quickly to withdraw counterfeit goods from circulation anywhere in the world. He also evaluates computer-implemented inventions for patent and copyright protection, and has significant experience in the recovery of domain names.
Gareth's notable experience includes:
· Negotiating an exceptional settlement in $20bn "bet-the-company" literary and artistic copyright, trade secret and patent trial through persuasive drafting that provided detailed analyses of the software (Visual Basic) code at issue.
· Forcing the withdrawal of an appeal in a widely reported trade mark action for a prestigious hotel and casino by recovering and organizing evidence the Appellants believed they had destroyed.
· Saving a private equity client over 80% of the claim in an IT mediation.
· Successfully negotiating the settlement of a dispute involving copyright in financial reports for 2% of sum claimed.
· Obtaining two precedent-setting awards in a domain name ADR.
· Coordinating the protection of world-famous brands both on and off-line via Court and ADR proceedings, using a network of professional contacts as well as industry knowledge.
· Securing the favorable settlement of an online dispute by tracing the emails of a "private" registrant and identifying him as a senior employee of investment bank.
· Regularly advising financial institutions, software houses and others on migration, infrastructure, data management and breach of confidence disputes, as well as in relation to: pre-emptive proceedings and international enforcement of judgments; contractual disputes; misuse of the telecommunications system; IP licensing; and IT project management.
Before Edwards Wildman
Prior to joining Edwards Wildman Gareth worked at a Silver Circle firm where he developed his IP/IT and Internet-based practices, won the Times Legal Rose Bowl in the 2004 Prospects Cup Tournament and captained the firm's Broomball Team. He has also worked in the software and pharmaceutical industries, and many years ago was a two-time Member of the Northern Ireland Youth Parliament.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Gareth enjoys spending time outdoors and by the sea, travelling to see family in Europe and Canada and visiting New York, where he lived for three years before joining Edwards Wildman. He is also a Formula 1 fan and enjoys music, photography, filmmaking and web-design.
Cloud Computing & Managed IT Services
Banking & Financial Institutions
American Bar Association (ABA)
Law Society Intellectual Property Working Party, Member
New York County Lawyers' Association (NYCLA)
New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)
Society for Computers and Law (SCL)