Gary is a member in the firm, practicing extensively in the areas of bankruptcy and creditor/debtor relations, commercial law and commercial litigation. He represents a variety of business clients and is a frequent speaker before attorney and business groups on various topics involving commercial and bankruptcy law.
Gary has served several times as a member and is a past Chair of the Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Section Council of the Iowa State Bar Association and is currently again a Council member. He served as Chair of that Section's Study Committee on the 1998 Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code which was instrumental in implementing the passage of Revised UCC Article 9 in Iowa, and has been a consultant to the Iowa legislature on matters of commercial law. He has been a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute since 1986 and is a former Law Clerk to the Honorable Richard Stageman, United States Bankruptcy Judge, Southern District of Iowa in1984-85.
Gary has also been active in the practice of environmental law, representing national and international petroleum companies in underground storage tank cost recovery litigation in Iowa, Indiana and New York, as well as various other clients in other state and federal court and administrative environmental cases. Gary also recently served as an adjunct professor of law at Drake Law School in Des Moines, Iowa, teaching Secured Transactions.
Of Particular Note:
· Selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of Best Lawyers in America as a top-ranked attorney in Litigation-Bankruptcy
· AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· Named as 2013's "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers in America in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
· Selected for inclusion in 2013 Great Plains Super Lawyers in the field of Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights (Super Lawyers: 2007, 2009-2013)
· Selected for inclusion in the Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation - Bankruptcy Law section of The Best Lawyers in America 2005-2006 Edition® and all subsequent editions.
Experience & Professional Activities
· Chair: Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C. Environmental Law Practice Group
· Member with Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C. since 1992-
· Associate with Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 1985-1992
· Law Clerk: U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Richard Stageman, 1984-1985
· Accountant and Contract Specialist: Ames Laboratory (Research Lab contracted with U.S. Department of Energy)
Professional Activities and Affiliations:
· American Bankruptcy Institute
· American Bar Association (Sections: Business Law, Environment, Energy & Resources and Tort Trial & Insurance Practice)
· Member, 2013 Midwest Bankruptcy Institute Advisory Board
· Federal Bar Association (Iowa Chapter Annual Bankruptcy Seminar Committee; Chair: Iowa Chapter Annual Bankruptcy Seminar Committee, 1989-1994)
· Iowa State Bar Association (Chair: Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Section Council, 2003-2005; Chair: Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Section's Study Committee on the 1998 Revised Uniform Commercial Code Article 9, 1998-1999; Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Section CLE Committee, Past and Present Member; Environmental & Natural Resources Section CLE Committee, Past Member; Sections: Commercial & Bankruptcy Law; eCommerce; Environmental & Natural Resources)
· Polk County Bar Association
Cases, Presentations & Publications
Selected Publications, Presentations and Teaching Appointments:
· Frequent presenter before attorney groups at local and regional CLE programs on topics involving issues and changes in commercial law and bankruptcy law.
· Contributing Author, Wiley Bankruptcy Law Update, Aspen Law & Business, a Division of Aspen Publishers, Inc., 1998, 1999 and 2000.
· Author, chapter on "Environmental Issues in Bankruptcy," Iowa State Bar Association Environmental and Natural Resources Section Practice Manual, 1996.