Depth of Bankruptcy Expertise. Having been involved in thousands of debtor/creditor bankruptcy matters during the past 26 years, he synthesizes substantial amounts of financial information on both the business and its owners in a short period of time. Gary develops an effective strategy for maximizing the benefit to his clients, given challenging financial circumstances.
Helping distressed businesses workout their financial issue. In his debtor/creditor representation he often recommends to clients not to file bankruptcy. Instead he attempts to work out their financial challenges outside the bankruptcy court. The unfortunate reality is that many Chapter 11 business reorganizations of small to mid-sized businesses are not successful with few reorganizing and emerging from Chapter 11 as viable businesses. Gary has seen literally hundreds of businesses succeed or fail-and in most cases the nexus of the business and that of the owner's individual financial situation are irretrievably intertwined. Many times the owners have personally guaranteed the business debt. Gary employs his business acumen and extensive legal experience to formulate strategies that work to extricate businesses and their owners from financial misfortunes.
Serving diverse clients. Gary's client roster, like his list of business skills, is diverse and comprehensive. In more than 26 years of practice, he's represented banks, mortgage companies, finance companies and other lenders in bankruptcy, workout, collections and business matters. His current clients include private and public lenders, Arizona retailers, contractors and construction companies, insurance agencies, real estate companies, developers, professional corporations, and manufacturers and suppliers of technical equipment.
Get To Know Gary In His Own Words
"I act as 'general counsel' for my entrepreneurial clients, learning their business and winning their trust. My experience as a businessman and knowledge as an attorney help me anticipate potential legal problems and advise clients on how to avoid those issues. If a client already has a legal problem, I develop a reasonable, cost-effective strategy for dealing with it. Often I act as go-between with litigation counsel, utilizing my business and legal experience to help navigate potentially dangerous litigation waters."
"In the current economic climate, I practice law because I enjoy the variety of challenges in helping clients sustain their businesses and attain their personal goals. I become friends with many of my clients-and especially like helping friends succeed."
- Founder and managing partner of Jaburg & Wilk.
- More than 26 years experience in both debtor and creditor bankruptcy representation including filing over one thousand Chapter 7, 11 and 13 bankruptcies and workouts for both consumers and companies.
- With more than 70 employees, Gary often confronts and manages the same business decisions as his clients, including reduction in force, renegotiation of leases, hiring practices, employee benefits, employee termination questions, capital purchases, accounts receivable and collections and banking/lending relationships
- Employment law expertise, representing small to mid-size companies on employment related issues.
Professional and Civic Service
- Frequent speaker on business-management topics.
- Chairman, Board of Directors of the Valley of the Sun Jewish Community Center.
- Past chair of the Young Leadership Cabinet of the Jewish Federation.
- Former member Jewish Federation Executive Committee and Board of Directors
- Member, Task Force of the Jewish Community Center Campus.
- Recipient of Wexner Heritage Foundation Fellowship.
- Scottsdale Leadership Workshop Foundation board member.
- Active in numerous Arizona State Bar sections and committees and former chair of Law Practice Management Section.
- Listed in Who's Who in American Law.
- Member of the Fee Arbitration Committee of the State Bar of Arizona.
"In 1993 I had the misfortune of becoming involved in a legal matter. I had the good fortune to be referred to Gary Jaburg. He took the time to explain, in detail, our options and the direction he thought best to follow. We took his legal counsel and the matter resolved without the expense and stress of a long and protracted legal battle, which our previous law firm had told us was inevitable. Jaburg Wilk has continued to provide me with the same type of practical, no-nonsense legal assistance for both my business and personal. From estate planning to every day business matters, I recommend Jaburg Wilk." - Owner, Arizona based transportation company.
"Gary is an extremely gifted lawyer. He gives practical, factual advice and is excellent at calming the client down when emotional. He has a team of lawyers he works with and I have found them to be professional, honest and of superior quality. I have worked with many law firms over the years as a CEO and this is the best law firm I have found in the Valley." - Owner, Arizona Educational Software Company
"A few years after we started up Sleep America, we realized that there were many legal business issues we had little or no knowledge of. I was fortunate to meet Gary Jaburg who introduced me to his experienced and talented attorneys, that had the expertise to deal with our legal needs. Each of these attorneys had the same no nonsense, direct approach to finding very smart, logical and cost effective solutions to our legal issues.
As we grew, Jaburg Wilk helped us avoid difficult situations before they occurred by being prepared and maintaining very high ethical standards. This led to us to winning the Better Business Bureau's Ethics in Business Award. We are grateful for the partnership we have maintained with this outstanding law firm for many years!" - Len Gaby Co-Founder, Sleep America
Answers to Top Business Issues
How to Maximize Value for Your Attorney Fee Dollars: Tips to Decrease your Legal Bill
Arizona's Minimum Wage Increased in 2012
Gary Jaburg is rated AV Preeminent from Martindale-Hubbell