Jeff joined the firm in 1982 and has merger and acquisition experience across a broad range of industries. In recent years, he has focused on transactions involving insurance companies, hedge funds, life settlements, captive insurance programs, banks and securities firms, including debt and private equity investments in financial services providers, insurance companies and alternative risk transfer (ART). Since one of Jeff's strengths is his ability to manage complicated multi-party transactions, he often assists clients outside of the financial services industry to complete difficult and time-sensitive deals.
Jeff has been active in industry advisory committees to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. From 1988 to 1992, Jeff was chief executive officer of several manufacturing concerns in Connecticut and dealt on a daily basis with issues that all business people face. Jeff brings a unique perspective to counseling his clients informed by this management experience. He understands what it means to develop budgets, deal with service providers, like lawyers and accountants, and manage cash flow.
· Jeff and other members of the firm's Mergers and Acquisitions practice represented a multi-national insurance firm in over $2 billion of insurance company acquisitions in the United States in 2007.
· Jeff recently coordinated a team of U.S. and Bermuda counsel with respect to tax, regulatory, securities and corporate matters relating to the establishment of an off-shore insurance captive for managing general agents of two U.S. insurers.
· He structured a multi-jurisdictional transformer utilizing off-shore captives and special purpose vehicles to transfer longevity and mortality risks relating to a portfolio of life insurance policies through swaps, insurance policies and reinsurance agreements.
· Jeff represents an auto industry company in its dealer captive insurance program.
· Jeff led a team from our Insurance and Reinsurance and Securities practices in the acquisition by Maiden Holdings, Ltd. of the GMAC Re business from GMAC in October 2008 and Maiden's subsequent $260 million trust preferred offering in January 2009.
· Jeff and another member of our Insurance and Reinsurance practice advised Transatlantic Re in its investment in ILS funds managed by Pillar Capital in December 2012.
· He represented AmTrust Financial Services in its 2008 acquisition of commercial business lines from Unitrin, Inc. and 2007 acquisition of Associated Industries Insurance Company and continues to represent it in other acquisitions and reinsurance matters.
· Jeff managed a team of attorneys from the firm's Mergers and Acquisitions, Securities and Finance practices in connection with the merger of Model Reorg. Inc. into Perfumania Holdings, a public company, and the refinancing of three associated debt facilities in August 2008.
· Jeff coordinated the acquisition by Allied World Assurance Company of Finial Insurance Company an affiliate of National Indemnity Company.
· He managed a multi-disciplinary team of attorneys in connection with the investment by a U.S.-based hedge fund in a Bermuda-based insurance holding company.
· Jeff led a team of bankruptcy and tax attorneys in a cross-border insurance premium finance receivables securitization.
· He represents lenders and borrowers in syndicated facilities, including letter of credit and other collateral facilities for reinsurers.
· Jeff has served as outside counsel to a hedge fund that makes debt and equity investments in life settlements and the insurance industry.
· Jeff led a multi-lawyer team that represented lenders to an off-shore special purpose vehicle formed to acquire life settlements.
· Jeff coordinated a complex leveraged buyout by Great Hill Equity Partners of Vigo Remittance Corp., a major international money transmitter, and the sale of Vigo to First Data Corp. and continues to represent licensed money transmitters.
· Jeff guided the unsolicited tender offer by Kingsway Financial Services for American Country Holdings.
· Jeff and other members of the Insurance and Reinsurance Department have represented purchasers of renewal rights from managing general agents.
· During the liquidation of the Reliance Insurance Company, he advised QBE Insurance Corporation on their acquisition of Reliance's Latin America affiliates.
· Jeff acts as lead outside counsel for an electrical components manufacturer in China, providing general corporate advice and assistance in negotiation of joint ventures with multi-national corporations to source products in the People's Republic of China.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Jeff and his wife live in Manhattan but escape on weekends to a lake house in the Hudson Highlands north of NYC. They are active members of the Film Society of Lincoln Center. Jeff enjoys snowboarding and golf, which he plays poorly.
Banking & Financial Institutions
American Bar Association
Connecticut Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
New York State Bar Association
Rhode Island Bar Association