Geoffrey Levin concentrates his practice on structuring and negotiating complex business transactions for private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies. His representations span a variety of industries and disciplines, having served as lead counsel in domestic and international mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, going private transactions, joint ventures, recapitalizations, venture capital/growth equity investments, restructurings and workouts, senior credit financings and mezzanine financings. He also has extensive experience as general partner counsel in the formation of domestic and international private equity funds.
Prior to joining Cadwalader, Geoffrey was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis and an associate at Cravath, Swaine & Moore. He authored the article "Private Equity Club: Seller Beware? Latest Developments and Practice Tips," which appeared in the March-April 2007 edition of Deal Lawyers.
Geoffrey was recently named by IFLR 1000 as a leading M&A lawyer. He was also recognized by Institutional Investor News as one of the 10 Rising Stars of Private Equity and M&A Law, and by Mergermarkets as one of their 2009 Dealmakers of the Year.
Geoffrey received his J.D., magna cum laude and Order of the Coif, from the University of Minnesota, where he was executive editor of the Journal of International Economic Law & Policy, and a B.B.A., with high distinction, from the University of Michigan. He is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
Mergers & Acquisitions and Restructurings
· A medical device company in its sale to a strategic acquirer.
· Icahn Capital in its bid for Blockbuster, Inc.
· A biomass conversion start-up in equity financing.
· A consortium of hedge funds in a bid for over $6 billion in distressed real estate assets.
· CVC Capital Partners in its $4.4 billion agreement to acquire the iShares ETF business from Barclays.
· The U.S. Treasury in the Chrysler restructuring.
· Lyondell Chemical Company in the equity backstop by Apollo, Ares and Access Industries of a $2.8 billion rights offering.
· CVC Capital Partners in its $2.3 billion take private acquisition of Univar N.V.
· A private investment firm in a co-investment in the going private acquisition of TXU.
Preferred Stock/Venture Capital Investments
· A leading private equity firm with an exclusive focus on life sciences industries in multiple investments in domestic and multinational medical technology companies.
· Private investment fund in $30 million PIPE financing of biopharmaceutical company.
· Private investment fund in $75 million PIPE financing of National City Corporation.
· Management team in seed-capital funding arrangements for start-up.
· Investment fund in $100 million funding commitment and joint venture arrangements for start-up.
· CVC Capital Partners in raising over $20 billion of committed capital for their European and Asian Investment Funds.
· The general partners and limited partners in the formation of a wide variety of other country- or region-specific non-U.S. funds as well as sector funds.