Ginger Pigott focuses her practice on products liability litigation and commercial litigation. A particular focus of her practice lies in the defense of complex medical device and pharmaceutical products liability litigation, as well as counseling on pre-litigation issues that include document retention issues and best practices. She represents major corporations as part of national and regional counsel teams and on individual cases both in California and throughout the country. She is experienced in creating strategies for large litigation and document projects for geographically diverse clients on an international scale, as well as in developing alternative dispute resolution programs and preparing mass tort cases for trial.
Ginger has defended medical device products liability lawsuits involving a wide range of products, including spinal/biological devices, neurological devices, diabetes management devices, cardiovascular devices, implantable devices for various indications, cardiopulmonary bypass equipment, imaging equipment, as well as other external medical devices and related equipment. She is also experienced in defending products liability cases involving pharmaceutical drugs, nutraceuticals and biologics. In addition, Ginger has worked on a wide variety of other product liability matters, including welding products and consumables, airplanes, helicopters, rocket propelled parachute systems, automobiles, soft drinks, and video games. In both product cases and commercial litigation matters, she has experience with various unfair competition allegations including those derived from Section 17200 Unfair Competition Law (UCL) and the Consumer Legal Remedies Act (CLRA). Prior to joining the firm, Ginger was a partner at a prominent, global law firm for more than 13 years.
Areas of Concentration
· Complex torts
· Pharmaceutical, medical device, and health care litigation
· Products liability & mass torts
· Products liability litigation
· Environmental litigation
· Health and FDA business
· Aviation litigation
· eDiscovery and eRetention
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Century City Bar Association
· Member, Defense Research Institute
· Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The International Who's Who of Product Liability Defense Lawyers, 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2011-2013
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2008-2010, 2013
· Profiled, "Women in Law Award," Chambers USA Guide, 2012
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Southern California Super Lawyers, "Rising Stars," 2004, 2006-2007
· Nominee, "Women Making a Difference" Awards, Los Angeles Business Journal, May 2006
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· National and regional counsel for medical device manufacturers relating to products involved in worldwide recalls.
· Counsel on several week trial involving blood factor concentrate product involved in alleged HIV infection.
· Represented a worldwide medical device manufacturer related to a variety of medical devices including defibrillators, pacemakers, infusion pumps, insulin pumps, neurological stimulation products, and orthopedic implants.
· National and regional counsel for global manufacturer of orthopedic medical devices in various product liability cases involving spinal implant devices.
· Lead counsel for dental implant manufacturer in medical device case and obtained fully dispositive defense motion days before trial.
· Counseled a medical device manufacturer handling product liability claims in jurisdictions throughout the country related to medical products.
· Counseled several Fortune 500 companies.
· Represented a small aircraft manufacturer in alleged product liability actions.
° Some of the above representations were handled by Ms. Pigott prior to her joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Quoted, "Q&A With Greenberg Traurig's Ginger Pigott," Law360, May 2, 2013
· Co-Author, " Bowdrie v. Sun Pharmaceutical Industries," Top 20 Food and Drug Cases, 2012 & Cases to Watch, 2013, Food and Drug Law Institute, 2013
· Co-Author, " Degelmann v. Advanced Medical Optics Inc.," Top 20 Food and Drug Cases, 2011 & Cases to Watch, 2012, Food and Drug Law Institute, 2012
· Quoted, "Greenberg Adds Reed Smith Atty To Health Products Group," Law360, February 6, 2012
· Quoted, "Greenberg Traurig Nabs Reed Smith Attorney," Daily Journal, February 6, 2012
· Co-Author, "Top 20 Food & Drug Cases, 2010 & Cases to Watch, Kester v. Zimmer Holdings," Chapter 2 , Food & Drug Law Institute," April 2011
· Author, "Update on Punitive Damages Claims A 50-State Survey," American Bar Association, Pharmaceuticals Subcommittee of the Products Liability Committee, Section of Litigation, 2007
· Co-Editor, American Bar Association's Trial Insurance Practice Section, Medicine & Law Committee Newsletter, 2002-2003
· Author, "Recent Developments in Medicine and Law," Tort & Insurance Law Journal, Volume 37, Number 2, Winter 2002
· Author, "Reuser Friendly: A Review of the Regulation of and the Product Liability Regarding the Reuse of Single-Use Medical Devices," Tort & Insurance Law Journal, Volume 37, Number 1, Fall 2001
· Author, "Recent Decisions Support Consumer's Privacy Rights During Discovery," The Practitioner: Tort Law for the Record, Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journal, March 5, 2001
· Panelist, "Key Issues Facing General Counsel," Directors Roundtable, June 5, 2013
· Speaker, "Dispositive Motion," Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) Seminar, May 14, 2010
· Speaker, "Legal Tech West, Leading Practices in Evaluating E-Discovery Strategies," June 20, 2007
· Speaker, "Implementing New Technologies in The Trenches," American Conference Institute's 3rd Annual E-Discovery & Litigation Readiness for Life Sciences, New York, NY, February 27, 2007
· Speaker, "Document Management & eDiscovery from Start to Finish," American Conference Institute's Pre-Conference Workshop, New York, NY, February 26, 2007
· Speaker, "IQPC eDiscovery for Pharma, Navigating the Obstacles Of Pharmaceutical eDiscovery," Philadelphia, PA, November 30, 2006
· Speaker, "Trends in Protective Orders & Confidentiality in Litigation," DRI Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, October 12, 2006
· Speaker, "Current Issues in Medical Device Litigation, FDA Regulatory Update," ABA Section of Litigation Seminar, June 15, 2006
· Speaker, "Electronic Discovery, Early Warning Signs," LegalTech West Coast, June 5, 2006
· Speaker, "E-Discovery Preparedness for Pharma, Bridging the E-Discovery Gap Across Borders," American Conference Institute, March 27-28, 2006
· Speaker, "eCommunication...Friend or Foe? Marketing eDiscovery Services," LMA Conference, September 28, 2005
· Speaker, "Dispositive Motion," Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) Seminar, August 5, 2005
· Speaker, "Truth in Labeling," Organization of Regulatory and Clinical Associates (ORCA), Seattle, WA, October 20, 2004
· Speaker, "e-Discovery and Document Retention," and Panelist, "Discovery Issues," "Current Issues in Medical Device Litigation" Program, ABA Section of Litigation, Pharmaceuticals, Biologicals and Medical Device, Subcommittee of the Products Liability Committee, Chicago, IL, September 23, 2004
· Speaker, "Dispositive Motion," Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) Seminar, October 2003