Glenn A. Gerena is a community development and hospitality attorney, whose practice focuses on structuring and documentation for recreational club membership programs and community governance. Glenn has significant experience in a variety of transactions and agreements involving recreational facilities, resorts and residential and mixed use communities.
Areas of Concentration
· Club, marina and resort
· Community development
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, Urban Land Institute
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010 and 2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011 and 2012
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 4.9 out of 5
· Represented club owners in a variety of club membership program restructuring, including:
- (i) conversions to refundable membership deposit programs,
- (ii) conversions to equity member-owned programs, and
- (iii) mergers of clubs and mergers of club and association.
· Represented developers in turnovers of equity clubs to members, including drafting phased transition agreements.
· Represented developers in sale of club facilities to member groups and property owners associations.
· Prepared documentation for marina slip sales programs, including right to use, equity clubs, and marina slip condominiums.
· Acted as special club counsel to debtor in possession of a club and resort project in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy involving multiple golf courses, beach club, and rental unit product and membership deposit debt.
· Represented lenders with respect to club membership programs in projects in foreclosure and projects transferred in lieu of foreclosure.
· Represented purchasers and investors in club and planned unit development projects with respect to due diligence and acquisition of assets, including a purchaser of multiple golf course club in a Chapter 7 liquidation.
· Represented club owners in founder member and patron member programs and other member driven financing transactions.
· Advised developers and prepared documentation for mandatory membership structures.
· Advised club owners and residential developers and prepared documentation for club member and property owner votes.
· Advised developer of mixed unit project regarding community association documents and cost and governance sharing agreements and structures.
· Negotiated and drafted club, marina and hotel management agreements.
· Prepared project management and marketing agreements, including agreements related to fractional residential projects.
· Prepared residential unit rental management documentation.
· Prepared Club Membership Marketing Plans and other marketing analyses
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Distinctions Between Sexes at Clubs," Hospitality Law Check-In, August 16, 2013
· Author, "Be Our Guest, Maybe," Bowden's Market Barometer, June/July 2013; Hospitality Law Check-In, May 15, 2013
· Author, "Creating a Club at Another's Facility," Bowden's Market Barometer, June/July 2013; Hospitality Law Check-In, March 11, 2013
· Author, "How Should Clubs and Resorts Share," Bowden's Market Barometer, February/March 2013 and Hospitality Law Check-In, January 7, 2013
· Author, "Lenders: Read This Before Foreclosing a Membership Club," Hospitality Law Check-In, February 11, 2013
· Author, "Growing the Game of Golf," Hospitality Law Check-In, November 26, 2012
· Author, "Let the Golf Course/Club Buyer Beware!," Bowden's Market Barometer, October/November 2012 and Hospitality Law Check-In, October 22, 2012
· Author, "Club Membership Deposits in Bankruptcy," Bowden's Market Barometer, August/September 2012 and Hospitality Law Check-In, July 2, 2012
· Author, "Members' Tenants - In or Out?" Hospitality Law Check-In, September 19, 2012
· Author, "How to Pay for the Club Makeover," Hospitality Law Check-In, August 2, 2012
· Author, "Rethinking the Membership Sell List," Bowden's Market Barometer, June/July 2012 and Hospitality Law Check-In, April 16, 2012
· Author, "To Golf or Not to Golf? That is the Residential Developer Question," Bowden's Market Barometer, June/July 2012 and Hospitality Law Check-In, December 1, 2011
· Author, "Is a Resigned Member Still a Member?" Hospitality Law Check-In, March 12, 2012
· Author, "Lowering Membership Price Without Lowering Membership Price," Bowden's Market Barometer, February/March 2012 and Hospitality Law Check-In, October 17, 2011
· Author, "Mandatory Club Membership - Strategies," blog.clubresourcesinternational.com, February 13, 2012 and Hospitality Law Check-In, August 15, 2011
· Author, "Enhancing Resort Profitability with a Membership Program," Hospitality Law Check-In, February 7, 2012
· Author, "Equity vs. Non-Equity Club Dynamics," Hospitality Law Check-In, January 10, 2012
· Author, "Pitfalls in Restructuring Membership Programs," Golf Inc. Magazine, Fall 2011
· Author, "Guess Who May be the Best Purchaser for Your Club?" Hospitality Law Check-In, September 21, 2011
· Author, "Club Membership Deposits -- From Gold to Paper," Hospitality Law Check-In, August 4, 2011
· Author, "Your Club and Its Membership Documents," Your Club and the Law, Vol. II Club Managers Association of America, March, 1997
· Co-Author, "United States v. Doe and its Progeny: A Reevaluation of the Fifth Amendment's Application to Custodians of Corporate Records," 40 University of Miami Law Review 793, 1986
· Speaker, "Legal: Due Diligence; Acquisitions; Bankruptcies; Foreclosures" - Repositioning Troubled Master Planned Community and Resort Projects, Davie, Florida, November 12, 2009
· Panel Participant, "The Hospitality Hangover" - Distressed Hospitality Industry (Turnaround Management Association), Fort Lauderdale, Florida, October 21, 2009
· Program Co-Chair and Speaker, Golf & Resort Development Conference (CLE International), Naples, Florida, March 30 - 31, 2006
· Speaker, Golf, Mountain & Resort Development Conference (CLE International), Park City, Utah, August 11-12, 2005
(Also at West Palm Beach Office)