Glenn is recognized as a leading practitioner in labour and employment law and works with employers in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut to resolve their employee and union issues.
Glenn advises and represents employers from many different industries before a variety of employment tribunals, including: Canada Industrial Relations Board, Workers Safety and Compensation Commission, Human Rights Commission, Human Rights Adjudication Panel, employment standards adjudications and grievance arbitrations.
He also works with northern administrative tribunals and those appearing in front of these tribunals on all aspects of administrative law and procedure.
Glenn presents to professional groups on all aspects of employment and administrative law and is an Associate editor of the Administrative Law Review, and has revised two chapters in the textbook Principles of Administrative Law by Jones and de Villars, the most recent version of which was published in 2009.
Awards and Recognition
· Leading practitioner - Employment Law and Workplace Human Rights Law, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
· Recognized in the area of Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers in Canada
Community and Volunteer Activities
· Treasurer, Yellowknife Speed Skating Club
· Member, National Court of Adjudication, Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada
· Regularly acts as spokesperson for governments, municipalities, private businesses and not for profit employers in collective bargaining.
· Conducts independent workplace harassment and other workplace investigations for employers.
· Negotiates collective agreements for the teachers and unionized public servants of the Government of the Northwest Territories.
· Negotiates collective agreements for the teachers and unionized public servants of the Government of Nunavut.
· Counsel for the Adjudicator appointed under the Conflict of Interest Act to inquire into the conduct of the Premier of the Northwest Territories in 2008.
· Represented the Government of Nunavut and a number of northern municipalities in their collective bargaining.
· Investigated a number of harassment and other complaints for the Government of the Northwest Territories.
· Served on a Board of Inquiry under the Education Act with respect to a teacher qualifications.
· Received a decision in a termination arbitration which makes new law on amounts to be paid to unionized employees who are not reinstated.
· Chairperson of the Hearing Committee appointed under the Education Staff Regulations to investigate the conduct of a teacher in the Northwest Territories.
· Retained by the Office of the Interim Commissioner to provide advice with respect to labour relations and employment law for Nunavut (prior to its inception).
· Represents employers before courts in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut in judicial review applications from decisions of employment tribunals.
· Advises a number of administrative tribunals with respect to administrative law and practice, the conduct of tribunal hearings and the writing of tribunal decisions.
· Represents administrative tribunals in judicial reviews of tribunal decisions.
· Appointed as a Wage Recovery Referee and Unjust Dismissal Adjudicator under the Canada Labour Code to conduct hearings into wage recovery and unjust dismissal complaints.
Seminars & Webinars
· "Privacy Law for Northern Employers", McLennan Ross webinar
· "Administration of a Collective Agreement", McLennan Ross webinar
· "Northern Territories 2012 Employment Law Year in Review", McLennan Ross webinar
· "Dealing with Performance and Absenteeism Issues", McLennan Ross webinar
· "Northern Territories 2011 Employment Law Year in Review", McLennan Ross webinar
· "Administrative Law - Training Course", NWT Board Forum
· "Top 10 tips to avoid the Discipline Process", Law Society of the Northwest Territories
· "Labour and Employment Law for Nunavut Municipalities", Iqaluit
· "Law Office Searches" Seminar, Law Society of the Northwest Territories
· "Ex Parte Applications", Law Society of the Northwest Territories
· "Right to Union Representation", Lancaster House Labour Arbitration Conference
· "Need-to-Know Labour Law for Nunavut Employers", McLennan Ross webinar
· "McLennan Ross 2010 Employment Year in Review" Seminar
· "Effective Legal Writing", Canadian Bar Association
· "Employment 101", McLennan Ross Webinar
· "McLennan Ross 2009 Labour Law in Review" seminar
· "Conducting Effective Collective Bargaining: Practical Tips", McLennan Ross webinar
In addition to those listed above, Glenn regularly presents at client seminars on employee management, conducting investigations, harassment and accommodation of disabilities.
· "Employer References in the Age of Privacy", Glenn Tait and Vicki Giles, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel
· "Protecting Solicitor-Client Privilege", Arctic Orbiter
· "The Giant Mine Disaster", Glenn Tait and Carolyn Simpson, Law Now