Practice/Industry Group Overview
With technology changing rapidly, the legal and technical needs of our clients vary widely. There is no “one size fits all” solution – the best practice is to tailor our litigation support solutions on a case-by-case basis. Accordingly, Goldberg Segalla does not try to sell unwanted programs, databases or storage capabilities simply because we have built a computer infrastructure and selected software that works for us. Instead, we collaborate with our clients to provide the most efficient and cost-effective solution in developing a protocol that best fits their specific needs, based on their case or litigation problem. Only then do we identify and select one or more vendors to help deliver the most appropriate solution. This approach allows maximum flexibility and permits us to work with the most knowledgeable outside vendors in the industry.
Our support goals are to identify the project requirements at the onset, interface with the client’s IT and available litigation support services, and develop a solution that will permit relevant materials to be identified, preserved, collected, catalogued in a database, analyzed for defense purposes and applicable privileges, produced as required by litigation and ultimately selected for use in the defense of our client at depositions and trial.
A comprehensive database that helps build your case
The final result of the ideal plan is often a relational database. This may include:
- .pdf or .tiff images of all information collected, reviewed and produced
- Basic metadata and text for electronic documents
- Bibliographic coding
- OCR text for hard copies
- Subjective coding
- Privilege assessments
- Confidentiality assessments
- Production history
- Tracking, as to exhibit use at depositions, trial and evidentiary rulings
In many cases, it is also preferable to maintain the document database within a case management program. This structure allows pleadings and transcripts to be linked to the documents, and the documents themselves can be used to develop timelines, chronologies and demonstrative exhibits.
If pattern litigation emerges and there is a need for litigation management tools, we are familiar with a variety of case management programs. At Goldberg Segalla, our solutions include:
- Creating sets of client documents for production purposes on CD-ROM or DVD using Summation (which we use in our day-to-day practice)
- Developing uniform document responses for use in the national management of pattern litigation discovery responses
- Working with our clients and vendors to create a proprietary litigation management solution or selecting a suitable litigation management solution from the many available on the market
- Partnering with our clients to create a specialized extranet or secure website to facilitate and promote online collaboration among team members located around the world
- Developing solutions in pattern litigation where data sets can be stored online and plaintiffs’ attorneys can be granted access to a secure website (via a case-specific password) to obtain materials responsive to discovery requests
- Working with a vendor to create an online claim process if deemed appropriate as a potential alternative to litigation (often depending on the volume of potential claims involved)
Since we do not view litigation support services as a profit center, we can provide the most objective solutions for our clients. We believe that our “best practices” approach to litigation support makes the best economic sense to our clients. In addition, this flexible model allows us to work with some of the most well-respected outside vendors in the industry for critical litigation support services – giving our clients the best chance for success in all phases of litigation.