Practice/Industry Group Overview
Our toxic tort and environmental trial team has a long history of aggressively defending the interests of high-profile clients and trying cases to verdict. For example, over the last 30 years, our trial lawyers have collectively litigated thousands of asbestos cases across the country and served as national, trial, and local counsel. We also have extensive experience defending lead paint, chemical exposure, mold and Superfund cases.
In addition to providing staunch advocacy for our clients when needed, we provide proactive advice focused on litigation avoidance and compliance with the full range of applicable state and federal regulations. We counsel facility owners and operators, financial institutions, higher education institutions, developers, landowners, and others regarding hazardous waste remediation, regulatory compliance, permit applications, waste-management issues, and zoning and land use issues. Our team regularly counsels clients through preemptive solutions to changing laws and after government inspections or enforcement actions.
Our litigation and counseling experience includes matters involving a wide range of state and federal agencies and regulations, including:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection and the Connecticut Siting Council
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA)
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Clean Air and Clean Water Acts
- Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure Plans (SPCC) for oil spills
- New York Navigation Law regarding petroleum discharges
Our toxic tort and environmental client base includes:
- Equipment manufacturers, including manufacturers of pumps, valves, brakes, boilers, electrical products, industrial dryers, overhead industrial cranes, forklifts, industrial fans, and forced-draft blowers
- Product manufacturers/sellers, including manufacturers and distributors of insulation, joint compound, gaskets, and furnace cement
- Residential product manufacturers, including manufacturers of washing machines and dryers, residential irons, and hair dryers and curlers
- Premises owners, including residential, commercial, and industrial
- Contractors, including commercial, industrial, and residential
- Higher education institutions, including over 300 colleges in more than 10 states
Several members of our team have background experience in environmental science, consulting, wastewater treatment, and other disciplines, providing increased efficiency and greater understanding of the technical and scientific challenges facing our toxic tort and environmental clients. Our team also includes a pioneer in Connecticut environmental law who was instrumental in drafting many of the state’s first environmental statutes and was lead counsel to the first college in the nation to complete the EPA’s Audit Policy Program, an “amnesty” program that established a benchmark for future audits — not only of universities and colleges, but of all EPA-regulated industries.
At Goldberg Segalla, we have a reputation for being passionate advocates, mindful that each client is different and poses unique legal and factual challenges. We pride ourselves on developing an intimate knowledge of every client’s situation and thoroughly preparing each case to go to verdict. Our experience has shown that this Best Practices approach commonly results in early favorable resolution of cases, through dismissal or settlement.