Practice/Industry Group Overview
Goldberg Segalla is recognized as a leader in product liability litigation and risk avoidance. Our product liability attorneys work together as a single integrated team, with the sole purpose of helping our clients win or avoid product liability disputes. These attorneys:
- Have tried product liability cases on behalf of Fortune 500 companies throughout the United States
- Have authored one of the leading treatises on product liability law
- Are contributing authors to other reference texts
- Have published dozens of articles in the journals of various international bar associations, addressing cutting-edge issues affecting product manufacturers
- Are influential leaders in bar and professional associations, helping to shape emerging issues important to our clients’ business operations
- Include current and past leaders of a multitude of state and national bar associations, including the Defense Research Institute, Product Liability Advisory Council, International Association of Trial Lawyers, Lawyers for Civil Justice, and Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
At Goldberg Segalla, we are proud to serve as national and regional counsel to product manufacturers and retailers with respect to product liability claims and risk avoidance. Our clients include some of the best-known international manufacturers and retailers of a wide variety of products, including:
- All-terrain vehicles
- Chemical products
- Consumer products
- Electrical products
- Fire products
- Heavy trucks
- Household appliances and electronics
- Industrial machinery
- Medical devices
- Personal watercraft vehicles
- Pharmaceutical products
- Sports and recreational products
Exceeding our clients’ expectations
We are a Best Practices firm committed to providing top-quality legal services in the most efficient manner possible. We understand that our clients often manage litigation around the country, and must do so in a consistent and efficient manner. We therefore strictly comply with our clients’ case handling and reporting guidelines, so that we may meet and exceed our clients’ needs and expectations.
A track record of proven success
The first concern of any new client is whether their prospective attorneys have the ability to try and win their case. The attorneys at Goldberg Segalla have tried—and won—product liability cases around the country for Fortune 500 clients. These cases have involved catastrophic personal injuries, wrongful death, multimillion-dollar property losses and environmental damage.
Our product liability team is supported by a nationally recognized appellate practice, which features former Court of Appeals and Appellate Division staff attorneys. Our firm has been involved in myriad published opinions, including numerous cases that have helped shape product liability law.
Risk avoidance counseling
We understand that avoiding a lawsuit is more important than winning one. As a result, we often help clients with risk avoidance, including:
- Minimizing and managing risks associated with designing, manufacturing and selling products
- Appreciating the scope and application of industry and governmental standards
- Assisting in the preparation of appropriate owners’ manuals, warnings and instructions regarding the proper use—and dangers of misuse—of products
Our attorneys have assisted in developing hundreds of manuals for a wide array of industrial and commercial goods. Our involvement in the development of these materials is based on our vast experience in, and knowledge of, the multitude of ways in which plaintiffs have exposed shortcomings of less carefully drafted manuals, and the manner in which they will pursue “failure to warn” claims.
Given today’s litigation climate, it is also essential that manufacturers implement a document retention policy in order to provide for the preservation and proper destruction of corporate documents in conformity with federal and various states’ laws. Such policies must account for electronic documents that may be stored on all computers company-wide. While this is a daunting task, our attorneys have the requisite experience to guide our clients through this potential minefield.
Goldberg Segalla is also committed to working for judicial and tort reform. We actively and proudly encourage these efforts through our support of, and membership in, organizations such as Lawyers for Civil Justice and the Defense Research Institute. Our attorneys also prepare and submit amicus briefs on behalf of the Product Liability Advisory Counsel.
Product recalls and reporting
We take pride in our creative resolutions and productive working relationships with governmental agencies. We have represented product manufacturers in matters before numerous regulatory agencies and organizations, including the:
- Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- United States Coast Guard (USCG)
Goldberg Segalla offers attorneys with experience in regulatory law and product recalls. Time is of the essence in such matters and we are ready to immediately address the needs of our clients.
Our affiliation with Studio Legale Casini, a well-respected European law firm, enables us to provide our clients with comprehensive advice and guidance with regard to the obligations imposed by the European Union’s Product Liability and Product Safety directives. We have also developed relationships with several law firms in Asia to address our clients’ worldwide product liability and product safety issues.