Gordon Golum is a shareholder with Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer P.A. Mr. Golum is a member of the firm's Real Estate Team, Governmental Affairs Practice Group and Administrative Law Practice Group. Mr. Golum has concentrated his practice in the areas of commercial lease transactions and disputes, administrative law, governmental affairs, and school law.
Mr. Golum has long experience in all aspects of commercial lease transactions. He has prepared and negotiated long-term ground leases, leases for office buildings and retail stores, including space in shopping centers, industrial and warehouse buildings and gas stations. He has also provided legal advice in respect to and negotiated lease disputes.
Mr. Golum has extensive experience in administrative law, including representation of public bodies and representation of clients before governmental agencies, including the professional boards (e.g., State Board of Medical Examiners), the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency, Division of Purchase and Property in the State Department of the Treasury, and other governmental bodies relating to such issues as bidding, contracts and contract disputes, the State Executive Commission on Ethical Standards, the State Department of Labor, the State Department of Education, and the Division on Civil Rights. In representing governmental bodies and appearing before governmental bodies on behalf of clients, he has developed extensive experience in respect to negotiations, contracts, disputes, administrative hearings and litigation, including appellate practice.
Mr. Golum is a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on the Unauthorized Practice of Law.
Mr. Golum has been selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers list for the years 2008 through 2014.
Representative Case : In re Xanadu Project at Meadowlands Complex, 415 N.J. Super. 197 (App. Div.) certif. den. 205 N.J. 96 (2010).
Prior to joining the firm in 1974, Mr. Golum was a Deputy Attorney General of the State of New Jersey (1970-1974), serving as section chief of the Education and Public Employment Section, Division of Law, Department of Law and Public Safety, State of New Jersey (1972-74) as well as representing the New Jersey Department of Education with respect to all matters.
Area of Emphasis
Commercial lease transactions
Government and Regulatory Affairs, including representation of clients before and legal advice relating to governmental entities; health care law; representation of governmental entities such as county colleges and authorities; and school law
Mr. Golum has authored the following articles:
• Authored the article, Renting to the State: Why Landlords Should Look to the State of N.J. as a Potential Tenant published in Section 3, Real Estate, Title Insurance and Construction Law, New Jersey Law Journal, October 15, 2012.
• Authored the article, Eviction of the Residential Tenant by the Commercial Landlord published in the February 2012 issue of the Middlesex Advocate Vol. 26, No. 6, Middlesex County Bar Association.
• Authored the article, Legal Issues Do Not End With Commercial Lease Execution - Clauses Controlling Post-Execution Issues Deserve Special Attention During Negotiations published in the December 2009 issue of the New Jersey Lawyer Magazine.
• Co-authored the article entitled Pay-to-Play in New Jersey: An update on state and local requirements published in the New Jersey Lawyer on November 10, 2008.
• Don't Count on Equitable Relief published in the New Jersey Law Journal on January 17, 2005.
• Co-authored the article entitled Negotiating Assignment and Sublease Provisions in Commercial Leases published in the New Jersey Law Journal on April 5, 2004.
• Co-authored the article HIPAA Privacy Rule Impacts Lawyers Across the Board published in the New Jersey Law Journal Supplement for Health Care Law, 174 N.J.L.J. 970 (December 15, 2003).
• Authored the article entitled Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, Healthcare Providers and Business Associates which appears in Physician Organizations, Spring 2002, Volume 5, issue 2, Published by the American Health Lawyers Association Physician Organizations Substantive Law Committee.
• Co-authored the article entitled How Will the Requirement for Agreements with Business Associates in HIPAA Affect my E-Business? featured in E-Commerce Law, Volume 2, Number 8 of the August 2002 issue.
• Contributed to the article entitled Update Lease to Address War, Terrorism, and Bioterrorism, Commercial Lease Law Insider, March, 2002 published by Brownstone Publishers, Inc.
• Authored the article entitled Suggested Amendments to New Jersey Printed Commercial Real Estate Lease Forms which appears in New Jersey Practice Series, Volume 22, Landlord and Tenant Law, Section 14.16 (with introduction by editor at Section 14.12) Fifth Edition (2001) by Raymond I. Korona.
• Diminishing the Risk of Political Contributions by Businesses with Public Contracts
• Don't Count on Equitable Relief
• Estoppel Certificates: Beware Before You Sign
• Eviction of The Residential Tenant by The Commercial Landlord
• HIPAA Privacy Rule Impacts Lawyers Across the Board
• Legal Issues Do Not End With Commercial Lease Execution Clauses Controlling Post-Execution Issues
• Negotiating Assignment and Sublease Provisions in Commercial Leases
• New Jersey Healthcare Regulatory Update - April 2014
• New Jersey Regulatory Update - November-December 2004
• New Jersey Regulatory Update - October 2004
• Pay-to-Play in New Jersey
• Renting to the State - Why Landlords Should Look to the State of N.J. as a Potential Tenant
• Suggested Amendments to the New Jersey Printed Commercial Real Estate Forms