Practice/Industry Group Overview
Products liability and mass tort cases are experiencing explosive growth in the United States and around the world. Juries are increasingly awarding massive sums, there is far more coordination and communication among plaintiffs’ lawyers, and the globalization of the economy means that products incidents are no longer isolated. To address the challenges of this new environment, defendants need a sophisticated and coordinated response. Greenberg Traurig has been at the cutting edge of some of the most high-profile cases in the United States and brings a wealth of experience for clients in regulated and non-regulated industries.
Effective Trial Strategies and National Coordination
Our attorneys have wide-ranging experience trying complex cases, including jury cases, for issues as diverse as chemicals, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, energy, toxic mold and tobacco. Our team has acted as national counsel, developing strategy and trying cases at the national and local levels. We work with our clients to:
- Develop and coordinate overall strategy
- Master the legal and factual issues
- Manage voluminous documentation using our award-winning technology platform
- Ensure consistency in pleadings and discovery responses
- Formulate themes to guide the defense
- Prepare witnesses to present full and accurate testimony, free from surprises
- Develop collaborative relationships with local counsel, in-house legal teams or divisional counsel in multiple countries and jurisdictions as needed
Whether the case involves a single plaintiff or a mass tort, Greenberg Traurig draws on a breadth of experience in cases of all kinds, in venues across the U.S. and internationally, to develop a creative strategy for that specific case. Our approach is practical and business-focused. We are therefore able to take powerful and cost-effective action through flexible and client-centered teamwork. For example, for clients in highly regulated industries, our Governmental Affairs Practice can craft strategies at the federal, state and local levels.
Liability Prevention Programs
By far the best way to cope with litigation is to avoid it. In addition to providing a strong defense when necessary, Greenberg Traurig has wide-ranging experience assisting clients with proactive programs to identify and correct potentially devastating practices before litigation develops. Our capabilities and experience address:
- Product Development Process
- Document Retention Policies
- Complaint Intake Policies
- Internal Communications Policies
- Crisis Communications
- Product Recall Counseling
The Consumer Products Counselor blog is for consumer products companies that are facing or preparing for legal issues confronting the industry. We address trends in the law, strategies for defending litigation and how to manage risk in a business frequently targeted by lawsuits. We hope this blog helps these companies and their legal teams navigate what can be a challenging legal climate.