Practice/Industry Group Overview
Recent events have illustrated that the government has taken an increasingly aggressive investigative posture toward businesses, especially those subject to government regulations.
- At both the federal and state level, criminal investigations, government audits, regulatory investigations, civil fraud and contract fraud cases have both intensified and become increasingly more complex in the current environment. Companies are now threatened with “economic capital punishment,” with their very survival entirely dependent on successful interaction with government authorities.
- The officers and directors of companies are subject to intense scrutiny concerning not only their decisions but the overall business practices of the company.
- Civil cases in this environment have significant criminal implications. Criminal matters now proceed in parallel with civil investigations and the cross fertilization results in maximizing the economic exposure of companies.
- What is needed is a multi-dimensional coordinated approach to parallel proceedings that is achieved by a seamless integration of attorneys who focus on representing companies and their high-level employees in connection with government investigations coupled with lawyers who have advised and structured business practices for corporate clients.
While other firms are now just starting to define this problem in order to address the complexity of business crimes today, Greenberg Traurig has wide-ranging experience protecting companies through coordinated planning as well as a coordinated defense.
- Experience protecting our clients’ interests in cases that have received national attention.
- A team comprised of former prosecutors who served at the highest level of federal and state government and have tried hundreds of federal criminal and civil cases.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement integrated “global” strategies by drawing on our substantive knowledge of health care, securities, banking, international trade, and other regulated industries.
- Vast experience in structuring internal investigations, developing guidelines and implementing compliance programs and addressing issues of voluntary disclosure.
- Securities fraud
- Health care/pharmaceutical fraud
- Money laundering
- Financial institution fraud
- Internal investigations/compliance issues
- Public corruption/campaign finance
- Sentencing guidelines
- Defense contracting
- Bankruptcy fraud