- Banking & Finance
- Brand Identity, Licensing & Enforcement
- Business Reorganization & Bankruptcy
- Casino Development & Financing
- Casino Operations & Management Agreements
- Corporate & Securities
- Gaming Licensing & Regulatory
- Gaming Manufacturing & Distributing
- Governmental Affairs
- Intellectual Property
- Internet Gaming
- Labor & Employment
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Mobile Gaming
- Native American Gaming
- Proprietary Lottery Programs
- Real Estate & Resort Development
- Regulatory Compliance
- Retail and Restaurants
- Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Casino owners (U.S. and international)
- Casino operators (U.S. and international)
- Casino suppliers
- Financial institutions, transaction processors and other money services businesses
- Gaming manufacturers
- International betting and gaming companies and Internet service providers
- Investment banks
- Native American tribes
- Real estate developers
The global reach of today’s gaming markets and enterprises presents an almost limitless range of possibilities to leverage intellectual property – opportunities requiring strategies that provide protection in more markets than ever before.
With more than 180 intellectual property attorneys, we regularly help gaming industry companies develop tactics to protect and leverage their key brands, technologies and corporate images through management of their worldwide patent, trademark and copyright portfolios.
We offer client services designed to increase the visibility and value of company names and images through:
- Domain name disputes;
- Patent prosecution, licensing, policing and enforcement;
- Rights of publicity and advertising;
- Technology transfer agreements; and
- Trademark and copyright registration.
Apart from assisting clients with the creation and protection of their own intellectual property, we are also skilled in the acquisition of third-party rights, including the use of corporate brands, artist images and trademarks which may be necessary for the naming of client properties. Such tasks lend themselves to our interdisciplinary approach.
We represent internationally renowned Las Vegas-based resort companies in worldwide trademark registrations and prosecution, copyrights, contracts, and other intellectual property litigation and licensing. We also advise on strategies for developing and enforcing intellectual property portfolios throughout the United States, Europe, Latin America and Asia.
Our patent lawyers have prosecuted patents of emerging gaming technologies including gaming devices incorporating biometric identification means, automatic card shufflers, video poker games, live card games, casino promotions, Internet-based games, lottery games and programs, and numerous other gaming-related technologies.
Our entertainment lawyers are at the forefront of the latest ventures involving the convergence of rapidly changing technology in music, sports and artistic projects.
Real Estate and Resort Development
Our nationally recognized attorneys represent many of the world’s largest owners and developers of destination resorts, gaming properties, convention centers, golf and recreation clubs, condominiums, fractional ownership and hotel properties, restaurants and retail shopping, in a range of legal matters in the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, Latin America, the EU and Asia.
Our hospitality group understands the need to create unique experiences at mega-resorts and is able to recognize the aspects of a project that complement gaming. Our lawyers have more than 30 years of industry insight with:
- Timeshare and fractional ownership projects;
- Club membership programs; and
- Luxury flag management and operation companies.
We advise on:
- Debt and equity financing;
- Development and construction;
- Management and service agreements;
- Licensing; and
- Ownership and amenities of diverse forms of recreational and leisure-oriented real estate projects, including major gaming resort developments in Las Vegas.
We add value to our legal services through our knowledge of mixed-use development. Our experience with land development, infrastructure planning, environmental considerations, tax issues, and contemporary risk management provides a platform for multidisciplinary client service in real estate and resort development.
Native American Gaming
Whether representing Indian tribes, investment banks or companies seeking to do business in Indian country, we have experience navigating the maze of federal and tribal gaming regulations. We have been involved in several billion dollars of Indian gaming financings, including Rule 144A offerings of debt securities (both high-yield and investment grade), private placements of securities, syndicated bank loans and interest rate swaps.
Our attorneys are also experienced with:
- Off-reservation Indian gaming projects;
- Trust land approvals;
- Environmental impact statements;
- Implementation of regulatory gaming commissions for Indian tribes; and
- Development and management agreements for Indian gaming enterprises.
We represented a Native American tribe and its related entities in a $1 billion acquisition of a major restaurant, hotel, casino and entertainment company—the first purchase of a major international corporation by a Native American tribe. The engagement included representing the tribe in connection with its high-yield notes offering and syndicated bank loan to finance the acquisition, and with the global licensing and franchising for restaurant, hotel and performance venue properties.
Gaming Licensing and Regulatory
Our licensing, regulatory and governmental affairs attorneys represent national and international casino owners, operators, suppliers and gaming manufacturers seeking:
- Gaming licenses;
- Liquor licenses;
- Key employee licensure;
- Regulatory compliance programs; and
- Advice related to internal investigations.
Our gaming regulatory attorneys also have experience representing financial institutions, transaction processors and other money services businesses in addressing legal issues relating to U.S. money laundering statutes, the U.S.A. Patriot Act and the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act.
Corporate, Securities and Finance
We have wide-ranging experience representing issuers, underwriters and investors in:
- Gaming financings (including public and private transactions);
- High-yield and investment grade debt offerings;
- Initial public offerings;
- Rule 144A offerings; and
- Secondary equity sales.
We have also done significant mergers and acquisitions for gaming companies and service providers to the gaming industry.
Our corporate, securities and finance attorneys work closely with their colleagues across the firm, including tax, environmental and pension attorneys, to provide a full range of legal services to gaming clients. We leverage our broad experience, efficiency and creativity to help structure and manage even the most complex transactions.
Our sizeable corporate and tax groups are well-versed in business formation issues, and can help you organize new entities in the U.S. gaming markets, whether state-regulated or tribal, as well as with foreign tax planning and business structuring needs.
Because of our relationships with financial institutions and private equity funds that have embraced the gaming sector, we may be able to facilitate introductions in connection with the financing of businesses and projects.
The global marketplace demands that law firms provide services to clients with an international perspective. Our roster of international attorneys includes senior lawyers who have served as government policy makers and advisers, judges and chief legal officers at major multinational companies—and who have spent years solving real-world
problems in the political, legal and business environments of major commercial centers.
Our international network of professionals has the legal experience, business alliances, technical knowledge, political experience, language capabilities and cultural understanding to provide an extensive range of legal services to clients in their global activities.
We have established several strategic alliances with law firms in Europe and in Asia, expanding our international reach to better serve our clients. These partners help us to provide clients with local insights and trusted contacts.
Our international gaming sector experience includes:
- Casino projects and associated destination resort and other real estate development activities located in Asia, Central America and the United Kingdom, in addition to work around the U.S.;
- Cross-border transactions; and
- Multinational joint venture projects.
We have assisted numerous international betting, gaming and skill companies, Internet service providers, financial institutions, money services businesses, media outlets and others in dealing with the myriad of complex issues confronting Internet gaming.