Practice/Industry Group Overview
Our Private Equity Practice utilizes the collective experience and resources of our firm to help clients achieve their goals. Our unique geographic platform, our range of capabilities in many practice areas and industries, as well as our long-standing focus on middle-market M&A, are what distinguish Greenberg Traurig from other large firms.
- Greenberg Traurig’s team of private equity lawyers have decades of experience representing private equity funds and other transaction sponsors, portfolio companies, management teams, co-investors and other participants in all aspects of private equity transactions.
- Based in key private equity markets in the United States, Asia, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East, our private equity team regularly represents clients in:
- structuring and organizing investment funds
- evaluating, negotiating and consummating acquisition, financing and exit transactions
- providing transactional and general corporate representation to private equity funds and their portfolio companies
Middle Market and Beyond
- With an established reputation in middle market transactions, not only does Greenberg Traurig provide sophistication and experience in accomplishing these transactions for clients on a cost effective basis, but we also have the capability and flexibility to work on some of the largest and most novel transactions and structures in recent years.
- Our fund formation attorneys have years of experience across multiple asset classes – classic private equity funds, hedge funds, pledge funds, fund of funds, real estate funds, venture capital funds and alternative investment vehicles.
- Experience with fund sponsors in capital-raising efforts in the U.S., Europe, Latin America and Asia
- Formation and offerings experience with registered funds
- Formation and ongoing operation of a range of non-registered funds, including private equity real estate funds, real estate limited partnerships and non-traded REITs
- Representation of traditional LBO, venture capital and hedge funds, as well as use of partnership, LLC, trust, SPAC and other fund structures
- Regularly assist clients in analyzing and implementing fund and alternative investment structures that minimize adverse regulatory and tax consequences
- Assist clients in drafting offering and subscription documentation
- Advise on investment regulation and compliance matters
- Our M&A team possesses the legal experience, business acumen, and global resources to structure, manage and close sophisticated transactions that enable clients to achieve their strategic goals. The M&A group has received significant recognition, including being named:
- M&A Law Firm of the Year for North America (Americas Atlas Awards 2011)
- Law Firm of the Year, Mergers & Acquisitions, Mexico (Dealmakers M&A Awards, 2012)
- Law Firm of the Year, Mergers & Acquisitions, Poland (Dealmakers M&A Awards, 2012)
- Ranked on Top 20 list - Legal Advisors to U.S. M&A: Volume (mergermarket YE 2012 League Tables)
- Ranked on Top 10 list - Legal Advisors to U.S. (South) M&A: Volume (mergermarket YE 2012 League Tables)
- Ranked on Top 10 list - Legal Advisors to Central and South American M&A: Value (mergermarket YE 2012 League Tables)
- We assist our private equity clients with platform acquisitions, add-ons, dispositions, recapitalizations and other exit transactions (including strategic mergers and IPOs), debt financings and management equity and compensation programs, including:
- Structuring, negotiating and consummating traditional leveraged buyouts, control investments and recapitalizations, “club” transactions involving multiple sponsors and other acquisition transactions
- Using multi-practice client teams, integrating our tax, employee benefits/executive compensation, intellectual property, real estate, environmental and litigation attorneys
- Serving as borrower’s counsel in financing private equity acquisitions, capitalizing on our experience in representing lenders in senior, mezzanine, high-yield debt and preferred stock financings
- Advising private equity and hedge funds with all aspects of reorganizations, bankruptcies, restructurings, workouts and buyouts, including acquisition and financing strategies such as “loan to own” strategies, 363 purchases, and UCC foreclosures