Gregory Marks was a partner (shareholder) in the Miami office of Greenberg Traurig for almost 15 years before joining Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP in 2012. Prior to that time he was the general counsel of a public company, a partner in Akerman Senterfitt (Miami) and a partner in Dykema Gossett (Detroit/Florida offices). Greg's practice emphasizes the representation of businesses and their owners, particularly entrepreneurs, developers and investors involved in start-ups, acquisitions, and the sales and reorganizations of business entities of all kinds. He has been involved in the organization of thousands of LLCs, partnerships and other entities and the selection and implementation of organizational structures for many types of domestic and international business enterprises and transactions. His specialties include federal and state tax rules and organizational statutes governing partnerships and limited liability companies, and he has played a significant role in the drafting of Florida's partnership, limited partnership and limited liability company laws over the years. He also has extensive experience dealing with the tax rules applicable to real estate development and investment, tax-free exchanges and related structuring, debt re-financings and work-outs, employee incentive arrangements, mezzanine financing structures, private equity venture capital funding, syndications and other strategic transactions, including the negotiation and drafting of documentation for those matters.
Greg was also an Adjunct Professor of Law at Stetson University in St. Petersburg, Florida, and he has published a broad range of articles on business, legal and tax issues and authored and edited sections of legal treatises on tax and corporate law. He has lectured extensively to attorneys, accountants, and other professional groups on general tax and corporate law issues. He received his J.D., with honors, from the University of Detroit Law School (1979), where he served as the Managing Editor of the Corporate Finance and Business Law Journal. He received his B.A., with honors, from Michigan State University (1976). In 2009 he became a Certified Florida Circuit Court Mediator. Greg is also licensed to practice law in Michigan, where he continues to have clients.
· AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· Best Lawyers in America
· Florida Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine
· Florida Bar Tax Section Special Merit Award (Reporter, Revised Florida Limited Liability Company Act Drafting Committee)
· Florida Bar Tax Section Special Merit Award (Chair and Reporter, Revised Florida Limited Partnership Act Drafting Committee)
· Florida Bar Tax Section "Chair's Special Merit Award" (Reporter of The Florida Bar's Revised LLC Act Drafting Committee)
Professional and Community Affiliations
· Florida Bar Drafting Committee for the Revised Florida LLC Act, Reporter, 2008-present
· Florida Bar Tax Section, LLC Sub-Committee, Chair, 2006-present
· ABA Prototype LLC Act Drafting Committee, 2003 to Present
· Florida Bar Revised Limited Partnership Act Drafting Committee, Chair and Reporter, 2002-2005
· Florida LLC Act Drafting Committees, Member, 1999 and 2001