Shao Guozhong oversees an active practice encompassing real estate, banking and finance, investment and M&A, bankruptcy, restructuring, and arbitration and litigation.
Mr. Shao has advised clients in the real estate and infrastructure construction industries for many years and is an expert on the legal issues related to land acquisition, planning, bidding, construction installation, supervision, sales and tenancy, tax, real property management, franchising and project financing. Mr. Shao's clients benefit from his expertise in the policies, systems, market practices and business conventions of the real estate and infrastructure construction industries in China, as well as from his strong working relationships with national and local governmental real estate agencies and city planning bureaus.
Mr. Shao has significant experience in the banking and financial sectors, having participated in many financing transactions including syndicated loans, structured financing and project financing. He is an expert in area of bank regulation, foreign exchange control, foreign debt and external guarantees. His close relationships with China's banking and foreign exchange regulatory bodies enable him to assist clients with effective communication.
Mr. Shao also regularly advises clients on investment and M&A projects, and has acted as special legal counsel for a great number of foreign enterprises and Chinese enterprises in such matters.
In the bankruptcy and restructuring area, Mr. Shao advises many large-scale enterprises on corporate liquidation, debt restructuring and asset reorganization matters.
Mr. Shao also assists clients in preparation for arbitration and litigation, including the structuring of strategies tailored to specific cases.
· Legal counsel to China South Military Industry Co. in connection with its development of the China Military Plaza
· Advised MTR Corporation on its investments in mainland China commercial real estate
· Represented Beijing Science Park Development Co. in its real estate development projects in Beijing
· Legal counsel to Beijing Yujing Real Estate Development Co. on the Yujing Garden project
· Advised Beijing Jiayuan Property on its model project, the No. 7 Block project
· Advised the American Embassy in China on its purchase of real estate in Beijing
Banking and Finance
· Acted as PRC legal counsel to the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) in its syndicated loan and structured financing
· PRC legal counsel to the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd in its PRC loan business
· PRC legal counsel to Natixis of France in its PRC equity pledge loan transactions
Investment, M&A, Bankruptcy and Reorganization
· Represented Bloomberg in its investment in China
· Advised Italy's Bernardi on its investment in highway construction machinery
· Acted as legal counsel to American Global Outsource Management LLC on its investment in China
· Representation of Oriental Hotel Holding Co. in the strategic reorganization of 14 hotels under its control
· Represented Beijing Science Park Development Co. in its negotiations with Czechic ECM Real Estate Investment A.G. for the purchase of large commercial and office buildings
· Represented Jiayuan Property Co., Ltd in its takeover of Jingda Kunlun Real Estate Co.
· Acting as administrative trustee and liquidator for Asian Securities and Centergate Securities, as retained by the China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC) and the Securities Investor Protection Fund
Arbitration and Litigation
· Representation of a Chinese finance company in its suit against a securities company on national debt custody (value RMB 800 million)
· Representation of a Beijing real estate company in a construction contract dispute against a construction company (value RMB 150 million)
· Representation of a Beijing real estate company in an equity transfer contract dispute against a company (value RMB 100 million)
· Representation of the Henan branch of Agricultural Bank of China in a deposit receipt dispute
· Representation of a Henan commercial bank in a loan dispute
· Representation of an Italian company in the arbitration of a dispute on equipment purchase contracts
· Representation of a Beijing real estate company in a real estate trading dispute arbitration
· Representation of a Jordanian oil company in a purchase and sales contract dispute arbitration
· Representation of a Guiyang real estate development company in a real estate project transfer dispute arbitration
Student, Max Planck Institute for International Private Law, Hamburg, Germany, 1988. Intern, Wessing Bernberg-Gossler Zimmerman Lange, Latham & Watkins LLP and AHBR in the Federal Republic of Germany.