Joe is a member of the firm's Policy Committee and has practiced law at Mintz Levin since 1981. He was the Chair of the Litigation Section for 10 years until 2014.
Joe is a trial lawyer with a wealth of courtroom experience. He is also a seasoned counselor for clients providing strategic advice on the avoidance, preparation for, and resolution of disputes. His primary focus is intellectual property litigation.
His litigation work has broadly involved the representation of clients in complex business litigation with an emphasis on intellectual property, patent litigation, intellectual property licensing disputes, and related technology, trade secret, and employee issues. Joe has represented plaintiffs and defendants in a number of bet-the-company cases and provided strategic guidance for companies to avoid or resolve such critical disputes.
Joe has tried over 30 cases to resolution and resolved a large number of other cases through summary judgment and motions to dismiss in state and federal courts across the country. He has obtained over a dozen seven- and eight-figure judgments and settlements for clients in the course of litigation. He also has successfully defended an equal number of significant matters. He has argued over a dozen appeals before state and federal appeals courts.
He also has lectured frequently on trial strategy, expert witness issues, and intellectual property matters.
• Eighty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, ( 10.17.2014 )
• Sixty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 Edition, ( 08.18.2014 )
• Sixty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Edition, ( 08.15.2013 )
• Seventy-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, ( 10.22.2012 )
• Mintz Levin Wins Patent Infringement Jury Trial against Garmin International for Client Ambato Media, LLC, ( 07.18.2012 )
• Quoted in Jury Finds Garmin GPS Devices Infringed Ambato Patent, Law360 ( 07.13.2012 )
• Fifty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, ( 10.21.2011 )
• Forty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, ( 10.19.2010 )
• Mintz Levin Represents Axsun Technologies Inc. in Trade Secret Victory, ( 10.08.2010 )
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, ( 10.27.2009 )
• Forty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, ( 10.25.2007 )
Awards & Recognitions
•Best Lawyers in America: Litigation - Intellectual Property (2014 - 2015)
•Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property Litigation (2006 - 2007, 2009 - 2012, 2014)
•Benchmark Litigation Massachusetts Litigation Star: Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent