As a nationally-ranked master swimmer, Harry knows the importance of setting goals and the preparation and tenacity necessary to meet those goals.
Harry approaches each matter with zeal and a fresh perspective. He can mastermind a plan and follow it through to success. He handles matters in the state and federal courts involving receiverships, mechanic's liens, collections, foreclosures, lease defaults, and issues under the Uniform Commercial Code on behalf of both corporate debtors and creditors, including:
• Commercial Lessors
• Financial Institutions
• Financially-distressed Businesses
• Financing Companies
• Official Creditors' Committees
• Trustees in Bankruptcy
He also represents both purchasers and sellers of businesses.
when skill matters
• Represented creditors' committee in Chapter 11, convincing mezzanine lender to waive its claim to avoid litigation, resulting in a recovery to unsecured creditors.
• Represented bank in its $30 million claim against airport security firm in Chapter 11, obtaining 100% recovery of its loan.
• Represented contractor in highly-contentious dispute with bank, successfully obtaining approval of a plan of reorganization, and resulting in the company continuing operations after confirmation.
• Represented hotel chain in bankruptcy, successfully reaching confirmation of a reorganization plan over the objection of many creditors, which resulted in a significant pay-out to unsecured creditors and the company continuing operations on a reduced scale.
• Represented seller of real estate and mortgage holder against a Chapter 11 debtor, successfully working to confirm a plan of reorganization providing for significant covenants in favor of the client. As a result the seller reacquired the real estate which had significant cash flow allowing the client to recover its entire loss.
• Represented an Ohio subsidiary of a Canadian company in its Chapter 11, successfully conducting a sale of the assets to a related entity, avoiding the liquidation of the Canadian parent, and allowing the subsidiary to continue profitable operations less $3 million of debt.
distinctions + awards
• Lifetime Achievement Award - Honoree, Turnaround Management Association, Ohio Chapter (2013)
• Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Bankruptcy/Restructuring Law
• American College of Bankruptcy - College fellow, XXIII Class (Inducted 2012)
• Best Lawyers in America - Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
• Best Lawyers in America - Bankruptcy Litigation
• Top 50 Lawyers in Cleveland - Super Lawyers
• Top 100 Lawyers in Ohio - Super Lawyers
• Ohio Super Lawyers - Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights
• Ohio Super Lawyers - Business Bankruptcy
• AV Preeminent Rated - Martindale-Hubbell
• Commercial Law League of America's President's Cup for Meritorious Service (2000)
articles + presentations
• Retention Issues in Individual Chapter 11 Cases (Presenter, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, October 2014)
• Budgeting for the Local Master Swim Club (Presenter, U.S. Master Swimming National Convention, September 2014)
• Credit Bidding at Bankruptcy Sales: A Powerful Tool, But Not Absolute (Co-Author, ABF Journal, May/June 2014)
• Distressed Sales - Has Chapter 11 Become Let's Make a Deal? (Panelist, William J. O'Neill Bankruptcy Institute, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, May 2014)
• Cracking the (Bankruptcy) Code: An In-Depth, Practice Oriented Approach to Familiar Topics (Presenter, William J. O'Neill Bankruptcy Institute, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, May 2012)
• This Land Isn't Your Land (Co-Author, Commercial Law World, January/February 2012)
• Lessee Bankruptcy: Current Issues for Lessors and Lenders (Co-Presenter, Lease Enforcement Attorney Network, January 2012)
• Financial Stress and Distress - What Are Your Options? (Co-Presenter, 2011 Not-For-Profit Leadership Symposium, Ohio CPA, October 2011)
• What Do You Mean the Lessee Sold My Equipment? It's Mine! (Co-Author, Lease Enforcement Attorney Network, July 2011)
• American Heart Association Greater Cleveland Division - Board of Directors
• Cleveland-Marshall College of Law - Adjunct Professor, Business Bankruptcy
• Ohio University College of Business - Visiting Professor
• Ohio Masters Swim Club - Board Member
• U.S. Masters Swim Club - Member, Financial & Review Committees
• Lake Erie Local Masters Swim Club - Board Member, Chair
• Certified Specialist in Business Bankruptcy - American Board of Certification
• Certified Specialist in Creditors' Rights Law - American Board of Certification
April 13, 2015
Brent M. Buckley and Harry W. Greenfield Again Among Ohio's Top 100 Lawyers
January 23, 2015
Nearly Half of Buckley King Partners Distinguished as Super Lawyers
January 6, 2015
Harry W. Greenfield Among the Top 50 Lawyers in Cleveland