Harvey is the Managing Member for the firm's Los Angeles office. His practice includes antitrust and intellectual property counseling and litigation, as well as complex commercial and business litigation.
With an extensive litigation background, Harvey has experience as trial and appellate counsel in antitrust cases and class actions within federal and state courts. In antitrust and consumer protection investigations, he has represented numerous businesses, advising them on how to comply with state and federal antitrust laws (such as the Robinson-Patman Act), consumer protection laws, and other business regulations. Additionally, Harvey has conducted compliance seminars for major corporations, performed Hart-Scott-Rodino filings in mergers and joint ventures, and offered compliance counseling for major advertisers regarding consumer protection laws, intellectual property rights, and media law. Harvey has handled a variety of patent cases in Los Angeles and San Diego federal court, including cases involving software and media patents.
Among Harvey's many litigation management successes is his involvement in the organization, structuring, and hiring of personnel for a free-standing “branch” office in Chicago. This group went on to represent a Chicago-based client in a hostile takeover. Harvey has also represented persons and companies alleged to have been involved in criminal price fixing.
Outside of the antitrust and class action realm, Harvey has handled all types of business disputes, including intellectual property, employment disputes, and complex business litigation.
As member of the Board of Governors and President of the State Bar of California, as well as the Chair of the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, Harvey has had the opportunity to become involved in the appointment process for both state and federal judges in California and Los Angeles.
Harvey serves as an adjunct law professor teaching The Law of Advertising and the First Amendment at UCLA Law School.
During law school, he was the executive editor of the Harvard Law Review. After graduating from law school, Harvey served as a law clerk to Chief Judge Bailey Aldrich, US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, in Boston, Massachusetts, and as an attorney advisor to Federal Trade Commissioner Philip Elman in Washington, DC. Harvey served as Regional Director of the Federal Trade Commission for two years.
• Eleven Mintz Levin Members Named Southern California Super Lawyers , (01.17.2014)
•Quoted in FTC May Waste Time Updating Price-Bias Guide, Attys Say , Law360 (11.29.2012)
•Mentioned in Dukes Dooms Clear Channel, Live Nation Monopoly Suits , Law360 (03.26.2012)
• Harvey I. Saferstein to speak at the Practising Law Institute's Live Webcast Standard Setting, FTC-Rambus, and Antitrust - Has the Dust Settled? , (06.18.2008)
• Harvey I. Saferstein and Robert P. Taylor speaking at Practising Law Institute's 49th Annual Antitrust Law Institute , (05.19.2008)
Awards & Recognitions
•California Super Lawyers: Antitrust Litigation (2011 - 2014)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
•Co-author, Ninth Circuit Clarifies Extraterritorial Reach of California Antitrust Laws , Antitrust Alert (02.25.2013)
•Co-author, Aryeh V. Canon: Impact on Calif.'s Unfair Competition Law , Law360 (02.15.2013)
•Co-author, California Supreme Court Gives California's Unfair Competition Law More Coverage , Litigation Alert (02.11.2013)
•Co-author, Another Shoe Drops in Washington - Ninth Circuit Expands Personal Jurisdiction over Willful Copyright Infringers , Litigation Alert (12.19.2012)
•Author, Sixth Circuit Uses Some Old Supreme Court Cases to Give Robinson-Patman Act New Life, The Price Point (10.2012)
•Co-author, The Case for Appellate Review of Choice of Venue , Law360 (09.11.2012)
•Co-author, Wrongful Termination Claim Too Desperate for Ex-Desperate Housewives Star , Litigation Employment, Labor & Benefits Alert (09.05.2012)
•Co-author, Another Loss for the Robinson-Patman Act , Antitrust Alert (08.23.2012)
•Co-author, Ninth Circuit Takes a Bite Out of Kellogg Mini-Wheats Cereal Class Action Settlement , Class Action Alert (07.23.2012)
•Co-author, Proposal for Centralized Review of Choice of Venue in Federal Court, San Francisco Daily Journal (07.11.2012)
•Co-author, Giving Robinson-Patman New Life in the 6th Circ. , Law360 (07.06.2012)
•Co-author, Sixth Circuit Uses Some Old Supreme Court Cases To Give Robinson-Patman Act New Life , Antitrust Alert (06.27.2012)
•Co-author, Location, Location, Location: A Proposal for Centralized Review of the Now Largely Unreviewable Choice of Venue in Federal Litigation , (03.01.2012)
• FTC Alleges Some “Green” Marketing Claims Are Dirty , Consumer Protection Advisory (06.11.2009)
• VeriSign Still On the Hook for Antitrust Allegations , Antitrust Advisory (06.10.2009)
• Co-chair, Discrimination in Price and Promotions, Antitrust Institute 2014: Developments & Hot Topics , Practising Law Institute, New York, NY (05.05.2014)
• Chair, When is Big Too Big: The Risks and Managing the Risks Raised by Recent Monopolization and Attempted Monopolization Developments, 2014 Business Law Section Spring Meeting , American Bar Association, Los Angeles, CA (04.12.2014)
• Co-chair, Discrimination in Price and Promotions, Antitrust Institute 2013: Developments & Hot Topics , Practising Law Institute, New York, NY (05.06.2013)
• Panelist, Miller's Courts: Media, Rules, Policy, and the Future of Access to Justice, Access to Justice and the Fourth Estate: A Fred Friendly Discussion , Oregon Law Review Symposia, Portland, OR (04.13.2012)
• Speaker, Public Company Education Series: New Developments in Public Company Board Responsibilities , Corporate Directors Group, American College of Corporate Directors, and Pepperdine University, Los Angeles, CA (02.22.2011)
• Speaker, Discrimination in Price and Promotions, Antitrust Institute 2011: Developments & Hot Topics , Practising Law Institute (PLI), San Francisco, CA (02.17.2011)
• Speaker, What You Should Know About Price-Discrimination Laws , Los Angeles County Bar Association , Los Angeles, CA (10.07.2010)
• Co-chair, Discrimination in Price and Promotions, Antitrust Institute 2010: Developments & Hot Topics , Practising Law Institute (05.20.2010)
• Speaker, Antitrust Issues in Communications Policy, Broadband and Cable Industry Law 2010 , PLI, Webinar (03.01.2010)
• Co-chair, Antitrust Law Institute 2009 , PLI, San Francisco, CA (05.20.2009)
• Speaker, Advanced Antitrust Seminar 2009: Distribution & Marketing , PLI, Los Angeles, CA (01.21.2009) (Also at San Diego and San Francisco Offices) (Also practices individually)