- International Trade and Business
- Corporate & Commercial
|Law School||Osgoode Hall Law School, J.D., 1990|
|Admitted||1992, Ontario; 1992, California|
Henry J. Chang is co-chair of the firm's International Trade and Business Group and a member of its Immigration Law Group.
Henry obtained his Juris Doctor from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1990. He is a member of the State Bar of California and the Law Society of Upper Canada. Henry is also licensed as a Foreign Legal Consultant by the Law Society of Upper Canada, which is a requirement for all Ontario lawyers who provide advice on foreign law.
As a member of the firm's International Trade and Business Group, Henry acts for foreign and domestic companies seeking to engage in cross-border business transactions. He advises multinational businesses on a broad range of legal issues, including:
· Cross Border M&A Transactions;
· Anti-Corruption Compliance under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act;
· Reviews of foreign investments under the Investment Canada Act;
· Trade issues arising from multilateral and bilateral trade agreements; and
· Customs issues under the Customs Act and Customs Tariff.
Henry is also a member of the firm's Immigration Law Group. A recognized authority in the field of United States and Canadian immigration law, he lectures extensively on the subject in both the United States and Canada. His work has been published in numerous nationally- and internationally-recognized publications, including LexisNexis' Immigration Law & Procedure, which has been cited in over 300 federal court decisions in cases from across the U.S. circuit courts of appeals, federal district courts, and the U.S. Supreme Court. Henry also mentors other lawyers in the practice of immigration law in the United States and Canada.
Henry is listed in the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2012 and the International Who's Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers 2013 published by Who's Who Legal, the Official Research Partner of the International Bar Association and Strategic Research Partner of the ABA Section of International Law. Henry is also listed in Best Lawyers in Canada® 2014 in the Immigration Law category, and is rated in the Lexpert Canadian Legal Directory (2011-2013) as a leading practitioner in Canada.
· Licensed as a Foreign Legal Consultant by the Law Society of Upper Canada
· Rated by Lexpert Canadian Legal Directory as a Leading Practitioner (repeatedly recommended) in Canada
· Listed in The International Who's Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers
· Listed in The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers
· Martindale Hubbell AV Rating
· Listed in Best Lawyers in Canada in the Immigration Law Category
· Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
· Member, The State Bar of California
· Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association (National Citizenship and Immigration Law Section)
· Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association (International Law Section)
· Member, International Bar Association
· Member, American Bar Association Section of International Law
· Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association
(Also Member, Chang & Boos)
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
Canadian Citizenship Amendments Receive Royal Assent
Henry J. Chang, August 27, 2014
As previously reported, on February 6, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Minister (the “Minister”) Chris Alexander unveiled Bill C-24, the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act, which proposed significant amendments to the Canadian Citizenship Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-29). On June 19,...
CRTC Issues Updated Guidance on Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation
Henry J. Chang, July 17, 2014
We previously provided a detailed analysis of Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (“CASL”). The provisions that regulate the transmission of commercial electronic messages (“CEMs”) came into force on July 1, 2014, and are now effective.
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#438 in weekly profile views out of 17,034 lawyers in Toronto, Ontario|
|#49,889 in weekly profile views out of 1,515,052 total lawyers Overall|