A member of Husch Blackwell's Healthcare, Life Sciences & Pharmaceuticals team, and a tax lawyer by training, Bert works extensively on business transactions and regulatory issues for healthcare providers and other industries and has experience working with physicians, physician groups, ancillary service providers and other healthcare business entities and organizations. He frequently represents healthcare clients in drafting and negotiating contracts and dealing with tax matters. Bert also serves the healthcare community as a member of a physician/hospital effort seeking a grant to study the impediments to multidisciplinary care at community hospitals. He also is on the Board of Directors of the nonprofit Memphis Jewish Home and Rehab, providing pro bono counsel and serving on the budget and legal committees.
Bert's work in the healthcare industry has included:
• Assisting doctors and their practices in affiliating with various physician integration models.
• Assisting hospitals, teaching institutions and physicians in structuring and developing joint ventures and providing federal, state and local tax advice.
• Representing healthcare providers in fraud and abuse investigations and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulatory inquiries.
• Advising providers on Medicare, Medicaid, Stark and other regulatory, compliance and reimbursement issues.
• Obtaining and maintaining exempt status under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.
• Providing federal, state and local tax advice to nonprofit organizations and physician practices.
• Providing end of life planning advisory services to patients and their physicians.
In addition to his healthcare experience, Bert assists clients at every stage of the business cycle, from formation and raising capital through ongoing operations and growth strategies, including acquisitions, mergers and reorganizations. He regularly consults with clients concerning operational matters, such as succession planning, estate planning, owner disputes, buy/sell agreements, employment agreements, noncompete agreements, tax structuring of real estate transactions and operations tax planning. Bert also assists clients in managing local, state and federal tax disputes and provides tax planning services to publicly and privately owned corporations, partnerships, nonprofit organizations and individuals. Bert also negotiates with tax officials, obtains tax rulings and represents clients in tax audit and litigation matters, including, among others, income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, franchise taxes and excise taxes.
Professional Associations and Memberships
• American Bar Association, Taxation Section
• American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
• Memphis Bar Association
• Tennessee Bar Association
• Tennessee Society of Certified Public Accountants
Awards and Recognitions
• The Best Lawyers In America, Corporate Law, Tax Law, 2003-2015; Memphis Tax Law Lawyer of the Year, 2012
• Anshei-Sphard Beth El Emeth Congregation, Director, 2000-present
• Coalition for a Better Memphis, counsel, 2005-present
• Memphis Jewish Family Service, Director, 2006-2012; 2013-present
• Memphis Jewish Foundation, Director, 2013, Executive Committee/Director, 2014-present
• Memphis Jewish Home and Rehab, Director, 2006-present
• United Way of the Mid-South, Secretary Counsel, 1992-2011; Board of Directors, 2012-2014; Co-chair, Strategic Planning Implementation Infrastructure Committee, 2012-2014
10.16.12 Strategies and Insights for a Successful Franchise: Year-End Tax Planning
5.13.11 Will the 3% contractor withholding tax ever go into effect?
8.20.10 DOT Revised the Standard Industry Fare Level (SIFL) for Last Six Months of 2010
In The News
8.19.14 Husch Blackwell Boasts 106 Best Lawyers on 2015 List, Seven "Lawyers of the Year"
Energy & Natural Resources Financial Services Food & Agribusiness Healthcare, Life Sciences & Pharmaceuticals Real Estate, Development & Construction Technology, Manufacturing & Transportation News Release
8.16.13 Best Lawyers 2014 Names 109 from Husch Blackwell, 13 "Lawyers of the Year"
Healthcare, Life Sciences & Pharmaceuticals Real Estate, Development & Construction Financial Services Energy & Natural Resources News Release
8.23.12 2013 Best Lawyers Includes 106 Husch Blackwell Attorneys in 56 Practice Areas and 7 States
10.13.11 Twelve Husch Blackwell Attorneys Named Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers
Healthcare, Life Sciences & Pharmaceuticals Real Estate, Development & Construction News Release
9.06.11 More Than 100 Husch Blackwell Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers 2012