Hilarie Bass, who was recently appointed as a Co-President, previously completed an eight-year term as the national chair of the 600-member litigation department, and serves on the firm's Executive Committee. During her more than 30-year career, she has successfully represented clients in commercial cases in jury and non-jury trials involving hundreds of millions of dollars in controversy. She is currently Lead Counsel for the Homebuilder Group in the Chinese Drywall MDL, having served as Lead Liaison counsel in prior MDL's. In 2011, she completed her term as Chair of the ABA Litigation Section.
Areas of Concentration
· Complex commercial litigation and arbitrations
· Class action defense
· Multidistrict litigation
· Securities fraud defense
· Banking litigation
· Jury and non-jury trials
· Alternative dispute resolution
Professional & Community Involvement
· Adjunct Professor, University of Miami School of Law, Litigation
· Chair, Florida Chamber of Commerce, Legal Committee
· Member, 11th Judicial Circuit
- Member, Committee on Professionalism
- Member, Business Court Committee
· Member, American Bar Association
- State Delegate, Florida
- Chair, Judicial Intern Opportunity Program, Litigation Section, 2005-Present
- Member, Task Force on Attorney Client Privilege, 2004-Present
- Member, House of Delegates, 1988-1995, 2000-Present
-- Chair, Rules and Calendar Committee, 2013-2015
-- Chair, Select Committee, 2006-2008
-- Chair, Admissions and Credentials Committee, 2002-2004
- Chair, Litigation Section, 2010-2011
-- Chair, Resource Committee, 2005-2008
-- Member, Council, 2002-2005
-- Chair, Trial Practice Committee, 1998-2001
- Chair, Legal Opportunity Scholarship Committee, 2005-2008
- Chair, Miami ABA Mid-Year Meeting, Host Committee, 1995, 2007
- Member, Commission on Women in the Profession, 2002-2005
- Chair, Council for the Fund for Justice and Education, 1999-2002
- Chair, Standing Committee on Meetings and Travel, 1998-1999
- Chair, Committee on Public Education and the Law, 1993-1996
- Member, Board of Governors, 1990-1993
· Member, International Women's Forum
· Member, Orange Bowl Parade
- Secretary, General Counsel, Orange Bowl Committee, 2003-2006
- Chair, 2001-2002
· Member, The Florida Bar
- Dade County Bar Association, Board of Directors
- Member, Rules of Civil Procedure Committee
- President, Dade County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
· Member, The Florida Bar Foundation
- Chair, Administration of Justice IOTA Grant Committee, 1991-1993
- Member, Board of Directors, 1988-1993
· Member, United Way of Miami-Dade County
- Member, Board of Directors, 1992-2008, 2009-Present
- Member, Executive Committee, 1995-2005
- Chair, Success by Six Program, 1999-2002
- Chair, Board of Directors, 1997-1999
- Chair, Strategic Planning Committee, 1995-1997
· Member, University of Miami, Board of Trustees, 2005-Present
- Chair, Audit and Compliance Committee
- Chair, Claims Committee
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Banking and Finance; Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions; Litigation - Real Estate; Litigation - Securities, 2007-2014
- "Lawyer of the Year," Miami Litigation - Banking and Finance Law, 2013
- "Lawyer of the Year," Miami Litigation - Mergers & Acquisitions, 2012
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, National - Litigation, 2005-2013
- Nominated, Chambers USA Guide's Women in Law Awards, "Woman Litigator of the Year Award," 2012
· Listed, Lawdragon 500, "Leading Lawyers in America," 2006, 2010-2011, 2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2013
- "Top 100 Lawyers in Miami," 2010-2013
- "Top 50 Women Lawyers in Florida," 2006-2007, 2010-2013
- "Top 25 Women Lawyers in South Florida," 2010
· Listed, South Florida Legal Guide, "South Florida's Top Lawyers," 2001-2005, 2010-2013
· Listed, a Law360 "MVP," 2012
· Recipient, "Alumni Achievement" Award, University of Miami School of Law Alumni Association, October 2012
· Listed, Florida Trend magazine, "Legal Elite," Litigation, 2007-2012
· Recipient, "Silver Medallion," Miami Coalition of Christians and Jews, February 2011
· Recipient, Daily Business Review, "Most Effective Lawyer" Award, 2009-2010
- Appellate Category, 2010
- Pro Bono Category, 2009
· Recipient, "C. Clyde Atkins Civil Liberties Award," ACLU of Florida, Greater Miami Chapter, May 2009
· Listed, South Florida Business Journal
- "Influential Business Women," 2009
- "South Florida Women Extraordinaire," 2008
- "Business Woman of the Year," 2001
- "Up & Comer Award"
· Listed, Who's Who Legal: Florida - Commercial Litigation, 2008
· Listed, Coral Gables Living magazine, "Best of the Best Rainmakers," July-September 2003
· Selected by Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld to participate in the Defense Department's Joint Civilian Orientation Conference, April 2002
· Recipient, "Dorothy Shula Award" for Volunteerism, United Way of Miami-Dade, 2000
· Recipient, "Claude Pepper Memorial Award," United Home Care, 1999
· American College of Trial Lawyers (Fellow)
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, Securities - Shareholder Litigation
· President's Conference on Volunteerism
· Recipient, Jewish Museum of Florida, "Breaking the Glass Ceiling Award"
· Recipient, "Women Making History Award," Miami-Dade Florida Association of Women Lawyers (FAWL)
· Recipient, YMCA Woman In Business Award
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Acted as lead counsel for Homebuilder Group Committee, Chinese Drywall MDL.
· Served as defense liaison counsel in MDL RICO class action against managed care companies throughout the country, representing Aetna, Inc.
· Represented Microsoft Corporation in defense of the Florida class action brought under Florida Unfair Trade Practices Act. Main action resulted in class action settlement; attorneys' fees issue resolved after four-day evidentiary hearing in Dade County Circuit Court action.
· Defended Hilton Hotels Corporation in five-week arbitration for breach of fiduciary duty claims in which plaintiff sought in excess of $100 million, resulting in judgment in favor of the defense.
· Prosecuted claims on behalf of Interval International in eight-day trial leading to entry of permanent injunction on breach of fiduciary duty and theft of trade secret claims.
· Represented company and officers in securities class action against Sportsline.com, which was dismissed by federal court at pleadings stage.
· Represented Hilton Hotels Corporation in defense of an action by Fontainebleau Hilton seeking to enjoin $3 billion merger with Promus Hotel Corporation through enforcement of overly broad restrictive covenant in Management Agreement; injunction was denied and case thereafter settled.
· Served as chief litigation counsel for the Trustee of Southeast Banking Corporation in suit against the FDIC, which was resolved with payment of a settlement to our client in excess of $300 million.
· Served as an SEC Receiver for corporation found to be improperly selling limited partnership interests in deregulated power industry in California.
· Served as an FTC Receiver for a travel company enjoined from continuing its fraudulent sales tactics in the sale of travel packages.
· Represented the Government of Brazil in obtaining a jury verdict in the amount of $125 million in action against ex-patriot residing in the South Florida area for fraud, civil theft and breach of duty.
· Obtained $25 million judgment against former bank president on behalf of an agency of the government of Venezuela.
· Defended a federal court class action in $50 million claim filed against the trustee regarding the pension plan of Southeast Bank.
· Defended employment benefits company in a jury trial in Nashville, Tennessee, against claims of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
· Represented Goldman, Sachs & Co.; Dain Bosworth, Inc.; Merrill Lynch & Co.; and Furman Selz, LLC in defense of a securities fraud class action case. Claims against the clients were dismissed by the federal district court on the pleadings.
· Represented Equitrac Corp. and its officers and directors in a shareholder class action alleging that Equitrac and its senior officers and directors attempted to complete a recapitalization transaction for a share price unfair to shareholders.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
Hillarie has lectured extensively on rules of procedure and evidence, expert testimony, creditors' rights and foreclosure issues, rainmaking, professionalism, and women lawyer issues.
· Quoted, "How They Won It: Greenberg Sticks It to Chinese Drywall Co.," Law360, October 23, 2012
· Featured, "View From the Top: Q&A with Legal Women Leaders," Vault, August 2006