Practice/Industry Group Overview
Hill Farrer & Burrill LLP offers a full range of corporate, tax and real estate advice and counseling for individuals, corporations (both profit and non-profit), limited liability companies, pension and other types of trusts and other business entities, with an emphasis on representation of privately held businesses. Our business attorneys have expertise in a broad spectrum of interrelated specialties, permitting us to provide our clients with highly coordinated legal advice from the original establishment of a business enterprise through all aspects of its growth and operation. Our services include advice regarding:
- The selection and formation of business entities and the raising of capital from individuals, "angel" financiers, private equity groups, venture capitalists, banks and other institutional financing sources.
- Establishing and administering nonprofit entities.
- The drafting of all types of commercial contracts, including software, technology and other intellectual property licenses, manufacturing agreements, distribution agreements, confidentiality agreements, independent contractor agreements and employment agreements.
- The negotiation and documentation of acquisition and disposition transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions by merger, consolidation, stock sale, asset sale, recapitalization, spin-off and leveraged buyout.
- The negotiation and documentation of real estate transactions, including financings, acquisitions, dispositions, development, leasing, land use and environmental matters.
- For family held companies, succession planning so that the business can be passed from generation to generation (or to employees) in a corporate and tax efficient manner.
- Substantive and procedural corporate issues, including defining fiduciary duties of officers and directors and mediation of shareholder, member and partner disputes.
- Restructuring debt repayment, non-judicial business reorganization, and Chapter 11 reorganization
- Dissolution and liquidation of entities