Practice/Industry Group Overview
Hill Farrer & Burrill LLP has extensive experience in successfully defending and taking to Trial a variety of personal injury matters for its clients. The actions include defending catastrophic injury cases, wrongful death lawsuits, significant motor vehicle accidents and chemical exposure litigation. The firm represents various clients in these cases, including major soft drink manufacturers, bottlers and distributors, along with various chemical manufacturers, distributors and applicators. Additionally, several of the firm's clients own and operate significant fleets of vehicles which are often involved in litigation arising out of a variety of roadway situations. In defending its clients at Trial, the firm has utilized numerous expert witnesses in the disciplines of accident reconstruction, biomechanical issues, human factor issues, life care issues, orthopedic medicine, pulmonary medicine and forensic accounting. The firm has successfully defended these catastrophic personal injury cases in all Counties throughout the State of California, and also in Arizona and Nevada.
- Prevailed at trial in a fraud claim brought against our client, a real estate broker, which was accused of failing to disclose a threat that the subject property might be condemned by a redevelopment agency. Other successful defenses, at trial, of brokers accused of failing to investigate and disclose various defects in property.
- At trial in U.S. District Court, defeated claim for slander of title and interference with contract arising out of the recording of lis pendens on a substantial number of properties in several states.
- Represented corporate finder when his claim for finders fee denied by acquiring corporation.
- Represented lender in litigation in which the lender was accused of interfering with the contract of a real estate broker who held a listing to sell an office building.
- Defended pest control company against homeowner claims for damage arising from various alleged causes, including poria infestation and pest inspections.
- Action by more than 30 plaintiffs against approximately 20 chemical companies and their employer, a major defense contractor, alleging injuries from use of top-secret chemicals to construct the Stealth Fighter: obtained summary judgment on behalf of the employer despite highly publicized Congressional hearings highlighting the alleged serious injuries.
- Represented leading California commercial and residential pest control company in a variety matters, including misappropriation of intellectual property and trade secrets, unfair competition, breach of employment agreement, intentional interference with contractual business relationship and prospective economic advantage, and trade libel.
- On behalf of fortune 500 national railroad company, brought a negligence action in United States District Court against a stevedoring company which had incorrectly loaded shipping containers onto rail cars in client’s train, resulting in a derailment causing significant property damage. After successfully obtaining partial summary judgment establishing liability, negotiated a $2 million settlement.
- Served as lead counsel for plaintiff national railroad in an action to recover damages sustained in a major train derailment. Negotiated favorable settlement with defendant shipper that had allegedly placed a defective railcar in service on the train that included significant recovery for the railroad.