- Intellectual Property & Technology
|Contact Info||Telephone: 312.456.5202|
|University ||Purdue University West Lafayette, B.S.E.E., 1981|
|Law School||Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, J.D., 1984|
|Admitted||1984, Illinois; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit; U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office|
|Memberships ||American Bar Association; Patent Law Association of Chicago. |
|Born||Gary, Indiana, January 7, 1958|
Howard E. Silverman is Co-Chair of the Chicago Intellectual Property & Technology Practice. He focuses his practice on U.S. and foreign patent, trademark and copyright matters, with particular concentration on the electrical arts and computer software, including prosecution, litigation and transactional matters.
Areas of Concentration
· Patent, trademark and copyright prosecution in the U.S. and foreign countries
· Patent, trademark and copyright litigation in the U.S. and foreign countries
· Counseling U.S. and foreign clients in varied aspects of U.S. and international intellectual property law
· Preparation and negotiation of technology acquisition, development, licensing and transfer agreements
· Due diligence investigations and intellectual property audits
· Patentability, infringement and avoidance opinions
· Representation of multinational clients in software acquisition and licensing matters
· Management of worldwide patent procurement efforts for multinational corporations
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Patent Law Association of Chicago
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Managing IP Magazine's World IP Handbook and Survey, "IP Stars," 2013
· Listed, Leading Lawyers Network, 2005-2013
· Listed Super Lawyers magazine, Illinois Super Lawyers, 2005-2006
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented VTech Holdings, Ltd. and its many global subsidiaries in connection with their worldwide intellectual property matters.
· Represented German machine tool industry members in a patent infringement matter resulting in favorable finding of inequitable conduct and unenforceability of complex electro-mechanical patents.
· Represented an electronic consumer product design and development group in connection with intellectual property protection.
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#1,055 in weekly profile views out of 38,643 lawyers in Chicago, Illinois|
|#44,918 in weekly profile views out of 1,509,349 total lawyers Overall|