Howard is an IP trial lawyer who has successfully led litigation teams in a variety of patent infringement and other IP matters throughout the country. He has litigated matters on behalf of clients in the medical device, financial, telecommunications, semiconductor, and software industries.
Howard has successfully served as both first chair and co-counsel in patent litigation trials and has successfully argued numerous Markman hearings and summary judgment motions. He has also appeared before the International Trade Commission and coordinated multinational patent litigation in a variety of matters.
Howard also assists clients in litigation avoidance, including patent clearance studies, license negotiations, and strategic patent counseling. His experience in interferences, reexamination procedure, and the coordination of foreign patent actions provides additional roads to success in major patent disputes.
Howard has spoken extensively, both domestically and abroad, on a range of IP topics, including the Supreme Court's Bilski decision.
• Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Named Best of the Bar by San Diego Business Journal, (04.23.2015)
• Fourteen Mintz Levin Members Named 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (01.23.2015)
• Eleven Mintz Levin Members Named Southern California Super Lawyers, (01.17.2014)
• Nine Mintz Levin Members Named San Diego Super Lawyers, (06.10.2013)
• Mintz Levin Wins Patent Infringement Jury Trial against Garmin International for Client Ambato Media, LLC, (07.18.2012)
•Quoted in Companies Increasingly Turn to ADR to Resolve IP Disputes, San Diego Daily Transcript (05.04.2012)
•Quoted in 5 Questions to Ask When Picking Your IP Battleground, Law360 (05.01.2012)
• Mintz Levin Further Expands West Coast Presence with Addition Of Three Members, (01.12.2012)
• Mintz Levin Nabs 3 Proskauer, Baker & McKenzie Attys, Law360 (01.12.2012)
•Co-author, Reconsidering the Standard for Enhanced Damages in Patent Cases in View of Recent Guidance from the Supreme Court, Santa Clara High Technology Law Journal (2015)
•Moderator, Discussion of Patent Trials by Judges of the Southern District of California, Views from the Bench: Discussion of Patent Trials by Judges of the Southern District of California, San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association, San Diego, CA (10.15.2015)
•Speaker, A Discussion of the Supreme Court's Mayo v. Prometheus Decision: Clarity or Confusion?, Mintz Levin, Webinar (04.18.2012)
Recognitions & Awards
•San Diego Business Journal: Best of the Bar (2015)
•San Diego Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property Litigation (2013, 2015) (Also at San Diego Office)