- Insurance & Reinsurance
- Business Law
- Complex Litigation
- Cross Border
- Media & Telecommunications
- Coverage & Claims
- Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution
|University ||Cornell University, B.S., 1986|
|Law School||Cornell University, J.D., 1989|
|Admitted||1990, New York; 1991, U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York|
American Bar Association
Asian-American Bar Association of New York
Association of the Bar of the City of New York
New York State Bar Association
|Born||Seoul, Korea, May 24, 1964|
Huhnsik is a partner in the firm's Insurance and Reinsurance Department and Partner-in-Charge of the firm's New York office. He is a seasoned litigator who, for more than two decades, has successfully resolved complex, high-value disputes on behalf of the insurance industry in domestic and international arbitrations and judicial proceedings. He successfully applies a focused and result driven approach as coverage and trial counsel to matters related to oil and energy, marine, technology and media, financial institutions, various toxic torts, environmental contamination, products and medical devices, professional services, aviation and life. Clients also rely on Huhnsik's knowledge and understanding of the business of insurance to handle commercial disputes involving producers, books of business, receiverships and reinsurance. Huhnsik has served as counsel in more than 70 insurance and reinsurance related proceedings in the U.S. and abroad. He is a fellow of Litigation Counsel of America who is regularly called as a New York law expert in Bermuda form arbitrations and recognized by clients and practitioners in New York Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition.
On the non-contentious side, Huhnsik represents insurers in regulatory and transactional matters as well as policy drafting and review. He also counsels transnational and start-up businesses on matters ranging from corporate formation and governance to intellectual property management. Huhnsik maintains his close ties to South Korea and working with diverse teams of lawyers, he continues to assist South Korean clients globally on all types of matters.
• Huhnsik successfully represented the sponsoring company of the first ever securitization of excess liability exposure through a catastrophe bond, in commuting liabilities impairing notes issued by the SPV/reinsurer which were held principally by private equity investors. This matter raised novel issues concerning the structure of the transaction as well as reinsurance and insurance coverage issues.
• Huhnsik regularly represents insurers in Bermuda form arbitrations involving property and liability claims associated with the energy sector as well as various excess liability exposures.
• The jury returned a unanimous defense verdict and our client prevailed in both the Appellate Division and Court of Appeals, when Huhnsik successfully represented an insurer in the defense of a jury trial and appeal of a seminal New York case. The case was on burden on proof and allocation of liability among successive insurers in a coverage dispute involving Con Edison and environmental contamination at its former manufactured gas plant in Tarrytown New York. Consolidated Edison Co. of New York v. Allstate Ins. Co., et al.
• Hunsik has successfully represented insurers as national coordinating counsel in dozens of coverage actions involving various underlying liabilities.
•Huhnsik successfully represented a patent holder in patent infringement and breach of licensing disputes concerning revolutionary in-line skates.
•Huhnsik successfully represented patent holders in their prosecution of infringement claims against some of the largest computer manufacturers in the industry.
•Recently, Huhnsik represented the issuer of global notes in Singapore in increments of $120 million and $100 million as part of the restructuring of short-term debt instruments.
•Huhnsik represented a Korean conglomerate in the formation of a $60 million Cayman Island partnership as an investment vehicle.
•Huhnsik is regularly called upon by foreign insurers to advise on U.S. insurance regulatory issues involving life and P&C companies.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Huhnsik is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. He is also an avid boater, saltwater fisherman and competitive trap shooter.
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#3,040 in weekly profile views out of 99,803 lawyers in New York, New York|
|#42,688 in weekly profile views out of 1,587,858 total lawyers Overall|