Practice/Industry Group Overview
Early recognition of Environmental and Chemical Regulation issues and appropriate actions taken prior to agency involvement often provide the difference in successful resolution of compliance matters. Our practical insight, together with dedicated and responsive service, positions you to take advantage of a constantly changing regulatory environment to achieve your strategic goals.
Our Environmental and Chemical Regulation team consists of attorneys who served as in-house environmental counsel with national and multinational companies, as well as attorneys who held non-legal positions within environmental consulting firms and regulatory agencies where they had responsibility for permitting and compliance under various regulatory programs. We also have technical experts in environmental engineering and environmental chemistry with in-house environmental management experience. This broad array of technical and legal experience enables us to understand the practical implications of the regulatory concerns facing your business and find the right strategy for your company to solve – and in many instances avoid – compliance issues.
We provide practical, client-focused advice drawing upon extensive experience in all environmental and hazardous material regulatory programs including air, water, wastes, land use, transportation, toxic chemical regulation, pesticide regulation and site remediation and redevelopment. Among the regulatory services that we provide are:
- Business Planning
- Compliance Counseling
- Enforcement Defense
- Rulemaking Advocacy
- Transactional Due Diligence
- Environmental Management System Development and Implementation
We have experience in counseling a variety of business entities, including organic and inorganic chemicals manufacturing; metals casting, rolling and fabrication; food and food additive manufacturing; energy industries, such as ethanol production and utilities; electronic components; ammunition and ordnance manufacturing; printing; product and packaging distribution; mining operations; and oil and gas operations, including exploration and production, transportation and retail petroleum operations. Our client list is broad, from Fortune 500 companies to small, family held companies. Our advice is tailored to meet a client’s needs and internal capabilities.
See below for representative projects:
- Determining whether a particular process change requires a new source review air permit application.
- Responding to a USEPA compliance order related to water pollution permit violations.
- Preparing a response to a USEPA request for information regarding reporting a release of hazardous substances.
- Evaluating whether state or Federal hazardous waste regulations apply to the recycling of certain manufacturing process residues.
- Assisting a company in importing a product with pesticide properties.
- Determining whether a pre-manufacture notice is required for identified process intermediates.
- Evaluating the adequacy of product warning labels.
- Assisting a company respond to agency investigations after a facility fire, explosion or hazardous materials release.
- Advising on environmental management systems and audit programs.
- Reviewing submittals to agencies in response to compliance or enforcement inquiries.
- Evaluating the impact of proposed rules on company operations and drafting comments on the proposed rules.
- Defense of and negotiating a resolution to regulatory enforcement matters.
- Assisted in developing and implementing a corporate program for compliance with European Union environmental and chemical regulation directives, such as REACH, RoHS, and WEEE.