Practice/Industry Group Overview
The energy industry is a cornerstone focus at Husch Blackwell. We are proud to represent clients across the energy spectrum, providing a full range of regulatory, transactional, commercial and litigation services.
Our clients include investor-owned utilities and utility cooperatives, independent power companies and developers, oil and gas producers and processors, energy and energy-related product marketing, storage, trading and distribution companies, and interstate and intrastate pipeline companies. Our clients are active in the power, natural gas, coal and other traditional energy commodity sectors, as well as in renewable energy sectors such as biofuels, wind, biomass and solar.
The members of our Energy industry team understand the evolving energy markets and how the assets underlying those markets are developed and operated, both with respect to traditional and renewable energy resources. Among its accomplished members, our Energy industry team includes former regulatory commissioners and staff members, former legislators responsible for key energy policies, and attorneys who have extensive in-house experience with national and multinational energy companies.
With innovative but practical insight, and dedicated and responsive service, we help our energy clients take advantage of a constantly changing environment to achieve their strategic goals.
- Energy Regulation. We provide a full range of legal services and guidance both to clients subject to government energy regulation and to unregulated clients that operate in heavily regulated industries. We routinely handle matters before federal (including the FERC and CFTC) and state regulatory agencies, legislative bodies and courts, including rate and certificate proceedings. Our energy regulatory team also provides crucial assistance in the structuring and implementation of commercial and strategic transactions.
- Energy Acquisitions and Joint Ventures. The energy industry is a core focus of our Mergers & Acquisitions group. Drawing on our expertise in the industry and with energy-related assets, we have completed a wide range of acquisition, disposition and joint venture transactions for our energy industry clients.
- Energy Financing. We have significant experience in structuring project financing and raising capital in the credit and capital markets for energy companies involved throughout the energy value chain. We have helped clients raise billions of dollars for the development, construction and acquisition of energy assets, including financing structured as non-recourse and limited recourse project or acquisition debt, corporate debt, and equity financings.
- Energy Marketing and Trading. Our lawyers actively participate in the constantly evolving energy and energy-related commodity markets and are intimately familiar with the contractual, credit and regulatory aspects of long- and short-term transactions from producer to end user.
- Facility Development & Operations. We have significant depth and experience across the development, construction, financing and operational stages of a wide array of installations and facilities, including generation, production, processing and refining, storage, and transmission, distribution and transportation facilities. Our knowledge of the industry and breadth of our practice enable us to provide our clients with prompt, practical expertise.
- Energy Litigation. In addition to our regular representation of energy clients before federal and state regulatory and administrative bodies, our seasoned litigators bring to bear a solid knowledge of the energy industry, complex energy markets, and energy-related assets in federal and state courts in complex commercial disputes, energy company bankruptcy proceedings, environmental litigation and condemnation actions.
- Oil and Gas. Our attorneys advise clients on all aspects of hydrocarbon exploration and production, including acquisitions of rights to producing and non-producing properties, tax issues, and exploration joint ventures.
- Renewable Energy. Our Renewable Energy practice brings a broad array of energy regulatory, tax, environmental, construction and finance expertise to developers and owners of electric transmission and renewable energy projects, and to lenders or purchasers of renewable energy, including wind energy, solar energy, biofuels, landfill gas, biomass power generation and other renewable energy resources.