Practice/Industry Group Overview
The oil and gas members of our Energy Industry team advise independent oil and gas producers and major companies (public and private) on all aspects of oil and gas exploration and production. Our experience includes all facets of acquisition, divestiture and exploration and production in U.S. and international conventional and unconventional oil and gas developments.
Our oil and gas attorneys are well versed in the industry and its changing needs, and are active members of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, the American Bar Association’s Environment, Energy & Resources section, as well as various state oil and gas associations.
Ownership and Production Arrangements
Our attorneys provide a full range of legal services to the oil and gas industry with respect to the ownership and operation of production assets, including:
- Joint venture and joint production arrangements
- Tax sensitive partnership agreements
- Operating agreements (domestic and international)
- Farm-out and farm-in agreements
- Production sharing
- Oil and gas sales agreements
- Seismic agreements
- Drilling contracts (IADC and tailored)
We advise clients on all aspects of project structure, financing, capital formation, and acquisitions and dispositions of oil and gas properties, domestically, internationally, and on federal and Indian lands.
Our tax attorneys are familiar with the special tax issues of businesses engaged in mining, oil and gas exploration and development, leasing and transportation. We have extensive experience with 1031 exchanges.
Our oil and gas practice includes work in the upstream, midstream and downstream transportation operations, including gas marketing agreements, hedging, financial derivatives and related contracts. We routinely develop and negotiate long-term agreements for the supply, purchase, processing and exchange of production. In addition, our attorneys regularly negotiate, customize and counsel clients with respect to industry-based and proprietary agreements for physical and financial settlement of energy and energy-related transactions, and have extensive expertise with respect to the credit issues that are critical to these transactions.
Our attorneys handle disputes related to all aspects of exploration and production, bringing to bear a specialized knowledge of the oil and gas industry and the full energy value chain.
Our firm’s recent oil and gas experience includes:
- Represent publicly-traded oil and gas company related to exploration and joint development agreement for onshore Israel project.
- Led international negotiation for oil and gas company leading to a successful thirty-five year oil and gas operating agreement with the Republic of Chile for the exploration and production of natural gas.
- Represented the first successful commercial producer of oil and gas in Belize, including negotiation of production-sharing agreement with the Government of Belize. Project featured in The New York Times and other national and local publications. Frequent interactions with all levels of the Government of Belize.
- Negotiated multiple joint venture agreements and accompanying AIPN-based joint operating agreements with respect to exploration and production of petroleum resources in Belize (parties included private investors and the Government of Belize).
- Represented client in Central America to counter the efforts of indigenous people (Maya) to prevent petroleum operations on the basis of ancestral property rights. Coordinated efforts of Queen’s counsel in London and local counsel in Central America to achieve amendment to the nation’s constitution, yielding “win win” result for client, the Maya and the people of the host nation.
- Represented private energy company in successful effort to establish petroleum concessions in Guatemala and form joint venture to explore for petroleum. Coordinated or participated in all local legal and political efforts, including interactions at the highest levels of the Government of Guatemala.
- Represented energy company in efforts to secure rights to establish concessions to explore for petroleum in Afghanistan. Negotiated joint venture company agreement with counter-parties in Afghanistan and Dubai.
- Represented energy exploration company in joint venture negotiations with the former national oil company of Romania.
- Represented Hungary-based energy company in negotiation of joint venture to explore for petroleum throughout Hungary. Worked on multiple transactions involving counter-parties in Hungary, London, and throughout Europe. Provide ongoing legal representation to resulting joint ventures.
- Represented U.S.-based energy company in miscellaneous business ventures in Iraqi Kurdistan (Irbil).
- Represented oil and gas company in its $110 million asset sale to a buyer in Bahrain.
- Advised clients with respect to conducting business overseas, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and anti-boycott legislation.
- Represented oil and gas E&P company in a Rule 506 broker-dealer private placement of up to $10,000,000 in limited partnership interests.
- Represented oil and gas non-operated working interest company in Rule 506 private placement of limited partnership interests related to Texas drilling program.
- Represented oil and gas fund in Rule 506 private placement of tax sensitive limited partnership interests.
- Represented oil and gas company in Rule 506 private placement of limited partnership interests in drilling program approved for individual retirement accounts help by trust companies.
- Represents numerous clients in the negotiation and execution of joint operating agreements and relationships in oil and gas upstream deals.