Practice/Industry Group Overview
Members of our energy team provide a full range of services to clients in the biomass and landfill gas industry, including negotiation of feedstock and off-take agreements and other project contracts; environmental permitting; and structuring and negotiation of joint ventures, acquisitions and investments. Our clients include independent developers, investors and owners of biomass projects.
Our full array of services to our landfill gas and biomass clients includes:
- Real estate
- Environmental compliance and permitting
- Facility and pipeline construction and equipment supply contracts
- Gas and power sale agreements
- Joint development arrangements and joint ventures
- Equity capital formation and debt financing
- Tax incentives, tax structures, and renewable energy grants and other incentives
- Renewable energy credits
- Operation and maintenance agreements
Our experience in the landfill gas and biomass industry includes:
- Represented developer with respect to project structuring, project financing, third-party investment, and negotiation of commercial contracts with respect to a $25 million landfill gas project having annual production of approximately 1 million mmbtu.
- Represent developer of a poultry waste-to-energy project for the generation and supply of electric power to a federal air force base.
- Counsel to a public company with respect to their development of a closed-loop animal waste processing system to meet power needs of a co-located ethanol plant and food production facility. The digester processes animal and food production waste into an energy source for the ethanol plant, which produces distillers grains used in the food production process.
- Counsel to U.S. energy investment subsidiary of large Japanese conglomerate with respect to its investment in a wood-fired power generation project development company located in the southeastern United States. The development company has three projects in various stages of development. The scope of our representation has included structuring and negotiation of the development company governance documents; review of power purchase agreements, equipment supply agreements, wood procurement agreements, and other project rights and contracts; and advising our client with respect to ongoing development company management issues.
- Counsel to a landfill gas developer headquartered in Houston, Texas, with scope of representation including project development and operations contracts, capital raising, and investor matters.
- Represented major wood pulp producer in the southeastern United States with respect to the use and sale of a wood processing byproduct for use as an industrial fuel.
- Represented leading landfill gas developer and operator in connection with disputes and litigation under multiple contracts with national landfill owner.