Practice/Industry Group Overview
Our International practice represents United States-based clients in the conduct of their businesses in other countries and foreign-based clients in their operations in the United States.
Our extensive experience in handling international business transactions and import/export transactions allows us to advise our clients in connection with their international distribution arrangements, distributorship agreements, and sales representation agreements anywhere in the world, as well as in connection with acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures.
One important element of our international service offering is our office in London, England. Our London presence allows us to serve our clients’ interests throughout the European Union. Additionally, our native Chinese and Korean attorneys regularly assist domestic clients with matters in Asia and Asian clients with matters in the United States. Numerous bilingual attorneys provide services for transactions in other parts of the world.
Our memberships in TerraLex® and World Services Group further enhance the geographic reach of our international practice. One of the largest global networks of independent law firms, TerraLex® consists of 150 law firms in almost 100 countries. We are the exclusive member of TerraLex® in Missouri. World Services Group is an international organization of multi-disciplinary services providers with more than 15,000 professionals spanning over 120 countries. We are the exclusive law firm member of World Services Group in both Missouri and Nebraska. These memberships ensure our clients instant access to leading professionals around the world.
Complementing our international transactions practice, our large and experienced litigation group can resolve disputes practically anywhere in the world, through international mediation, arbitration or litigation. Our insolvency litigation team is recognized worldwide for its success in tracing assets and collecting judgments internationally.
Our International practice provides assistance in the following areas:
- Negotiating acquisitions of joint ventures with foreign companies
- Establishing U.S. subsidiaries in foreign countries
- Establishing and terminating overseas dealerships
- Drafting technology and licensing agreements and protecting intellectual property in foreign countries
- Negotiating supply agreements between U.S. companies and their foreign distributors
- Obtaining recognition of U.S. judgments through comity or the initiation of fresh actions in foreign countries in order to effectuate recovery of the same
- Assisting financial institutions and companies with the service of process and compliance with Hague Convention provisions in regard to foreign litigation
- Assisting financial institutions and companies with responding to and defending the service of orders to produce documents and respond to interrogatories from foreign jurisdictions
- Assisting financial institutions and companies with the appointment of receivers and the recognition of receivers in foreign jurisdictions to recover secured or owned assets in conformity with client needs
- Acting as a gatekeeper for financial institutions and companies to coordinate and oversee litigation in foreign jurisdictions
- Assisting financial institutions and companies in the initiation of foreign litigation and the selection and supervision of overseas counsel in the foreign litigation in conformity with client needs
- Assisting financial institutions or companies in complying with U.S. legislation such as Trading with the Enemy Act and the Patriot Act
- Assisting clients in international finance and derivatives
- Guiding clients in global offerings of securities
- Arbitrating international disputes under all major dispute systems (including the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce)
- Negotiating and documenting secured commercial loans in the United States by foreign financial institutions
- Representing foreign-based clients in connection with real estate transactions
- Guiding clients in business acquisitions and mergers
- Providing clients assistance in foreign patent, trademark and copyright registration and enforcement
- Supervising and coordinating a network of local foreign counsel for the registration and maintenance of our clients’ patents, trademarks, copyrights and other intellectual property
- Handling immigration matters, including assisting in the entry of non-citizens into the United States and maintaining their non-immigrant status during temporary visits
- Advising clients on the corporate and tax structure for business operations in foreign countries in order to minimize worldwide taxes
- Assisting our clients in international trade (including Customs, Export and Import Regulations and NAFTA)
- Advising clients in contract manufacturing arrangements