Practice/Industry Group Overview
Our Customs & Trade practice group provides guidance to manufacturers, distributors, retailers, technology companies, and foreign suppliers engaged in the import and export of goods, technology and services. The practice focus of our customs and trade attorneys includes unique issues such as:
- Customs and Border Protection initiatives
- Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT)
- Importer Self-Assessment Program
- Customs’ Focused Assessments
- Import and export compliance assessments and implementation of compliance programs
- Export licensing under the Commerce Control List (CCL) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
- Trade sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control
- NAFTA interpretations
- Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness Act of 2002
- Antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings
Our Customs & Trade attorneys have expertise in all areas of customs and trade law and are supported by attorneys from other specialty practice areas such as Governmental Affairs, Government Compliance, Investigations & Litigation, Transportation, Agribusiness, Intellectual Property, Technology, Immigration and Tax.
Attorneys in the Customs & Trade practice have guided clients in compliance self-assessments and development of compliance programs. They have advised on C-TPAT applications, exports of controlled technology, country of origin marking, export applications, customs’ audits, cross-border movement of household goods, voluntary disclosures and duty saving techniques such as use of duty drawback, foreign trade zones and ATA Carnets.