Practice/Industry Group Overview
Our ERISA/employee benefits litigation attorneys represent individuals and entities in ERISA/employee benefits litigation relating to nonpayment of benefits and breaches of fiduciary duties. Our ERISA/Employee Benefits Litigation practice is devoted to defending fully insured and self-insured welfare plans, pension plans, plan administrators, plan sponsors, employers, fiduciaries, third-party administrators, insurance agencies, trustees, benefit associations, insurance companies and plan participants. The diversity of our practice allows us to understand the interests of all parties to the employee benefits relationship.
We have obtained favorable rulings at both the trial and appellate levels, negotiated favorable settlements, successfully resolved cases through mediation, and negotiated consent decrees with the Department of Labor (DOL).
Our ERISA/Employee Benefits Litigation practice focus includes:
- Defending employee welfare benefit plans and pension plans, plan sponsors, employers, administrators and trustees in ERISA lawsuits alleging nonpayment of benefits and breaches of fiduciary duty
- Representing parties in matters involving the DOL, including:
- Defending third-party administrators
- Defending health plans, sponsoring employers, plan administrators and plan trustees
- Defending health plans in litigation brought by medical providers against plan participants and beneficiaries for unpaid medical bills
- Defending ERISA class actions brought by plan participants against plan sponsors and administrators
- Defending third-party administrators against lawsuits brought by plan participants and plan sponsors
- Defending insurers against claims for plan benefits
- Representing plan sponsors, administrators, and participants in pre-lawsuit disputes with plan participants, beneficiaries and the DOL
- Pursuing subrogation claims on behalf of self-insured health plans
We believe it is important for employee benefit clients to maintain a proactive approach to employee benefits litigation issues. We actively guide plan sponsors and administrators through the administrative claim level and in litigation. We are frequent speakers at seminars on ERISA litigation and attend national ERISA litigation seminars.