Practice/Industry Group Overview
Healthcare executives and practitioners need legal advisors with insight into the healthcare industry and a track record of successfully defending high-exposure lawsuits. Husch Blackwell is ideally suited to meet that need.
Our healthcare attorneys understand the complex and rapidly changing healthcare regulatory system, the role of government oversight, and the complicated payment structure. We effectively leverage this understanding when representing our healthcare clients in today’s high-dollar/high-stakes litigation climate. As one of the largest healthcare law firms in the country, Husch Blackwell provides a unique representation that is available only from a law firm with attorneys who routinely handle critical litigation and who also possess an in-depth understanding of the healthcare industry.
As problem-solvers for healthcare professionals throughout the United States, we represent all sectors of the healthcare delivery system including:
- Academic medical centers
- Employer and provider trade organizations
- For-profit and non-profit providers
- Hospitals and hospital systems
- Integrated delivery systems
- Long-term and post-acute care providers
- Managed care organizations
- Pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Pharmacy benefit managers
- Physicians and other licensed professionals
- Rehabilitation service providers
- Wholesale drug distributors
Clients count on our insight and knowledge to minimize risk within the evolving regulatory system and the government’s aggressive oversight and to protect their interests when disputes arise.
As experienced litigators, we try cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States, before juries and judges, in administrative proceedings, before arbitration panels and in various appellate forums. At the same time, we are sensitive to the economic and operational effect that litigation has on our clients. As a result, we work to resolve cases efficiently by assessing the strengths and weaknesses of a case at the outset and developing creative and sound resolution strategies that meet our client’s business objectives.
Our healthcare litigation attorneys have been successful in representing a myriad of healthcare entities and routinely represent clients in cases involving:
- Breach of contract
- Certificate of need
- Class actions
- Corporate governance
- The Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Federal Employee Health Benefits Act (FEHBA)
- Fiduciary obligations
- Government proceedings, including whistleblower suits under the federal False Claims Act
- Insurance coverage
- Managed care
- Medical device
- Medical staffing
- Pharmacy dispensing disputes
- Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO)
- Reimbursement disputes
- Trade secrets
- Unfair competition
Husch Blackwell attorneys also regularly represent healthcare clients in medical malpractice defense, labor and employment disputes, product liability litigation and white collar defense.