Ira Schacter is a senior partner in Cadwalader's Corporate Group and has been a member of the firm for almost 30 years. Ira represents clients in all aspects of corporate and financial matters, with extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions and complex finance. His practice consists principally of representing public and private acquirors, targets and private equity sponsors in connection with negotiated and contested mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, spin-offs, joint ventures and IP monetizations as well as other structured and complex financings. He also represents foreign and domestic companies in cross-border business transactions.
In addition, Ira has worked extensively on transactions in the life sciences and technology sectors involving strategic alliances and research, development and commercialization collaborations, and intellectual property monetizations. Most notably, he has advised clients on the structure of royalty and patent stream monetizations, the purchase and sale of intellectual property assets, and the acquisition and disposition of IP-focused businesses.
Over the course of his career, Ira has been involved in virtually all aspects of the structured finance business with almost every type of securitization, including insurance risk, whole-company, and CDOs and with assets from the traditional to the varied, including corporate loans, swap receivables, repo, and other financial assets, as well as a variety of other unique assets, such as franchise royalties and shipping containers.
He received his B.A. in Economics from the State University of New York at Stony Brook; a J.D. from the Nova Center for the Study of Law, where he was a Notes and Comments Editor of the Law Review; and an LL.M. in corporations law from the New York University School of Law.
•salix Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. in its $15.6 billion acquisition by Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
• Representing Mercuria Energy Group on its acquisition of J.P. Morgan's physical energy and commodities business.
• Representing Salix Pharmaceuticals on its terminated $2.5 billion inversion combination with Cosmo Technologies, a subsidiary of Cosmo Pharmaceuticals.
• Representing Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. in its $525 million acquisition of Civitas Therapeutics, Inc.
• Representing Exelon Corporation on its acquisitions of Integrys Energy Services, a retail electricity and natural gas company, and ETC ProLiance Energy, a natural gas marketing company.
• Representing Citigroup in a term loan financing for a special purpose entity to co-invest in a slate of films produced by Sony Pictures Entertainment.
• Representing Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC as sole structuring advisor and sole placement agent for a $50 million royalty bond financing by an indirect special purpose subsidiary of Danish pharmaceutical company Zealand Pharma, A/S, backed by stand-alone patent royalties and milestone payments from the licensee of Zealand's diabetes drug lixisenatide.
News & Resources
• Cadwalader Represents Salix Pharmaceuticals in Its Acquisition by Valeant Pharmaceuticals Apr 01, 2015
• Cadwalader Continues to Dominate Law-Firm Ranking Jul 25, 2014
• Cadwalader Recognized by 2015 Chambers Global Guide Mar 12, 2015
Clients & Friends Memos
• Final Credit Risk Retention Requirements for Asset-Backed Securities Transactions Oct 30, 2014
• IMN's ABS East Sep 21, 2014
• Quorum: February 2015 V3N1Feb 11, 2015