Iris specializes in land use, zoning and procurement law and has been certified by the Florida Bar as an expert in City, County and Local Government Law.
Iris represents land owners and developers in every phase of a property's development and operation. In the early planning phase of a development project, Iris provides her clients invaluable due diligence regarding the property's development potential. Next, Iris assists her clients in obtaining any and all local and state entitlements necessary for new construction, the redevelopment of existing properties, the introduction of new uses or the preservation of existing uses.
The local government approvals Iris regularly secures for her clients include: platting, waiver, warrants, major use special permits, special exceptions, variances, special area plans, modifications to ordinances, historic preservation approval, DRI approvals, marina approvals, rezoning and comprehensive plan amendments. Once development occurs , Iris continues to serve her clients by resolving complex code enforcement matters that may arise.
The various projects Iris is proud to have served in the foregoing capacity include residential, hotel, retail, commercial and mixed-uses, and institutional uses such as affordable housing, educational facilities, medical buildings, places of worship, and museums.
Iris also advises clients during the local government's procurement process, including the due diligence, submittal, award and bid protest, as may become necessary. After a government contract has been awarded, Iris assists clients with regulatory compliance in accordance with the award agreement. In addition, Iris represents clients in the adoption of regulatory ordinances for outdoor advertising displays.
Iris is a former Assistant City Attorney for the City of Miami. During her tenure at the City, she served as legal counsel to several departments. Iris was principally responsible for opining on all real estate issues including platting, right-of-way closures, covenants, easements and specific title issues. Iris is seen as an expert in subdivision regulations and has been asked to speak on several occasions regarding Platting and Subdivision in Florida.
Areas of Concentration
· Governmental affairs
· Land use representation
· Real estate transactions
· City, county and local government law
· Subdivision law
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board Certified, City, County and Local Government, Board of Legal Specialization and Education, The Florida Bar
· Council Member, Educational Excellence School Advisory Council (EESAC), Ada Merritt K-8 Center, Miami Dade County Public School, 2009 - Present
· Member Agent, Attorney's Title Insurance Fund
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Environmental and Land Use Committee
· Member, Commercial Real Estate Development Association (NAIOP)
· Member, CREW Commercial Real Estate Women
· Member, Cuban American Bar Association
· Member, Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce
· Member, The Florida Bar
- Young Lawyers' Division
- City, County & Local Government Law Certification Committee
· Member, U.S. Green Building Council
· Member, Urban Land Institute (ULI)
· Participant, United Way Woman's Leadership
· Graduate, Leadership Miami, Class XXX, 2008-2009
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, "Top Lawyers: Class of 2012," South Florida Legal Guide, MidYear 2012
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2009-2012
· Recipient, "Star Award," CREW-Miami, 2010
· Listed, one of South Florida's "Top Up and Comers," South Florida Legal Guide, 2008-2012
· Selected, "40 Under 40," Real Estate Florida, 2009
· Assistant City Attorney, City Attorney's Office, City of Miami, Florida, 2003-2005
· Judicial Law Clerk, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court, Judge Eleanor Schockett, 1999
Articles, Publications, & Lectures
· Quoted, "Mercy plans to double size, rework outpatient facilities," Daily Business Review, November 24, 2010
· Mentioned, "Construction permit approved for the new Miami Art Museum," The South Florida Business Journal, November 5, 2009
· Quoted, "Edgewater commercial complex closer to approval," The Miami Herald, July 18, 2008
· Quoted, "Easing Through," The SunPost, June 28, 2006
· Speaker, "Florida Plat and Subdivision Laws and Regulations," Lorman Educational Services Seminar, September 2010
· Speaker, International Municipal Lawyers Conference, Land Use Tour Seminar, 2009
· Speaker and Moderator, "Plat and Subdivision Law in Florida," Hyatt Regency Miami, Miami, Florida, June 25, 2008