Israel Dahan concentrates his practice on the representation of public and private companies, financial institutions, and corporate executives involved in complex securities, commercial and bankruptcy litigation matters. He has extensive experience handling disputes concerning the federal securities laws, federal bankruptcy laws, mergers and acquisitions, insider trading, market manipulation, fraud, breach of contract, internal corporate governance, and the fiduciary obligations of corporate directors.
In addition, Israel has defended inquiries and enforcement actions pursued by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the National Association for Securities Dealers, the New York Stock Exchange Division of Enforcement, the U.S. Department of Justice, and various state attorneys general. These matters have involved allegations of accounting fraud, stock trading and market manipulation.
Israel also represents debtors and creditors in high profile bankruptcy litigation matters and has handled many investigations and actions involving claims for fraudulent conveyance and preferential transfers. He has been involved in many trials, arbitrations, and mediations and has extensive experience dealing with expert discovery and Daubert issues.
Israel graduated, summa cum laude, from Touro College and cum laude from Brooklyn Law School, where he was Note and Comment Editor of the Journal of Law and Policy. He is admitted to practice in New York and New Jersey and before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Second Circuit and the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Securities Litigation Matters
· Represent individuals in federal securities class actions alleging violations of the federal securities laws.
· Represented Deutsche Bank Securities in private securities fraud actions involving allegedly illegal naked short selling activities.
· Represented Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. and several of its former directors and officers in federal and state shareholder litigations relating to the merger of Bear Stearns with JPMorgan Chase & Co.
· Represented group of underwriters of three offerings of securities, aggregating in excess of $3 billion, issued by The Williams Companies in a federal securities law class action asserting claims under Sections 11 and 12(a)(2) of the Securities Act of 1933.
· Represented Majesco Entertainment and the officers and directors in federal securities class actions and derivative action.
Commercial Litigation Matters
· Represent The Renco Group and other affiliated entities in a state court action involving claims of breach of contract, tortious interference and veil piercing.
· Represented Bank of America and LaSalle Bank in several litigations involving the repurchase of loans sold in mortgage-backed securitizations.
· Represented private equity funds and their executives in actions involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty.
· Represented foreign directors and officers in action involving claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud related to merger.
· Represented private equity funds and their executives in WARN Act suit.
Bankruptcy Litigation Matters
· Represent Citigroup Global Markets Inc. and Citigroup Global Markets Limited in an adversary proceeding filed by the Thornburg bankruptcy trustee seeking to avoid over $2 billion in transfers and other obligations that Thornburg made or assumed prior to bankruptcy
· Represent individuals and corporate creditors in various Chapter 11 proceedings.
· Represented Vertis Inc. in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy and plan confirmation.
· Represented US Bank, N.A. as indenture trustee of debt issued with respect to leveraged leases of two Dynegy power generation facilities in the Dynegy Holdings LLC bankruptcy, including litigation that improved our client's position by hundreds of millions of dollars
· Represented Apollo Health Street, Inc. in contesting an involuntary bankruptcy petition filed against Apollo by certain of the company's creditors which led to the dismissal of the case in just three weeks and a significant recovery from the petitioning creditors
· Represented Icahn Associates as secured lender defeating subordination and other claims in the Blockbuster chapter 11 cases
· Represented Lyondell in its chapter 11 bankruptcy and headed the litigation matters associated with the bankruptcy.
· Represented Bay Harbour and affiliated funds and individuals in breach of fiduciary duty and veil piercing claims brought by the creditors committee in the Steve & Barry's bankruptcy
· Represented Enron Corp. in connection with more than 40 separate adversary proceedings seeking to recover monies owed to the Enron estate under swaps, forwards, and other derivative contracts, successfully recovering $2 billion for, and eliminating several billion dollars of claims against, the estate
· Represented Northwest Airlines. in its chapter 11 bankruptcy and was instrumental in defeating challenges filed by official and ad hoc committees to plan confirmation.
· Represent individual in postal fraud investigation by the Department of Justice
· Represent Fortune 500 company in accounting fraud investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission
· Represented various companies in state and federal government investigations involving late trading, market timing and market manipulation.