J. Mario Fontes, Jr. focuses his practice on general corporate matters, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate finance, including the representation of pre-qualified bidders in connection with the privatization of government-owned telecommunications and energy companies, acquisitions of private and public companies, private and public offerings of debt and equity securities, and representation of financial institutions in regulatory and compliance matters and trade finance transactions.
Areas of Concentration
· Corporate finance
· Private and public offerings of debt and equity securities
· Financial institutions - regulatory and compliance
· Trade finance
· Cross-border transactions
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Florida Bar Association
· Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Member, team ranked as a top corporate law firm in Miami as selected by corporate directors, in the annual "Legal Industry Research Study," Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc. (10th year), 2002-2009, 2011-2012
· Team Member, "Corporate & Finance - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Awards, 2010-2011
· Team Member, "Focus on Latin America - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Inaugural Awards for Excellence, 2009
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2007-2009
· Represented telecommunications infrastructure services company in connection with its $250 million credit facility consisting of a $150 million loan provided by a syndicate led by Credit Suisse and a $100 million loan provided by a syndicate led by Tennenbaum Capital Partners. The facility involved a collateral package including complex technology and real estate parcels in several states in the U.S. and in Belgium, Spain, Brazil and the UK.
· Represented winning bidder in connection with the purchase of 49% of the outstanding shares of voting stock of a government-owned telecommunications operator in Latin America in the amount of $652 million.
· Represented U.S. energy company in connection with the purchase of a majority interest in government-owned energy generation and distribution companies valued at approximately $200 million each.
· Represented South American government-owned petroleum company in connection with the private placement of medium-term debt securities.
· Represented South American mining company in connection with the registration of its securities under U.S. securities laws.
· Represented U.S./Latin American companies in private placements of debt and equity securities, initial public offerings, and mergers and acquisitions.
· Represented U.S. and foreign companies in connection with the acquisition of telecommunications, IP, services, manufacturing and health care entities located in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, U.S. and Venezuela.
· Represented U.S. manufacturer in connection with the supply of wireless pagers and handsets to carriers in the People's Republic of China valued at US$1.5 billion.
· Represented North American telecom equipment manufacturer in connection with vendor financing transactions in Latin America.
· Represented lender in connection with debt restructuring of Latin American media group.
· Represented European and Latin American financial institutions in connection with trade finance transactions.
· Represented international bank agencies in connection with Federal and Florida state regulatory matters, including review of account opening documentation for corporate and individual customers for compliance with "know your customer" policies and procedures.
· Inter-American Development Bank, Country Studies Division
· International Monetary Fund, Department of External Relations
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Mentioned, "Attorney Helps Terremark get $75 Million in Bond Financing," Daily Business Review, November 24, 2010