Mr. Stanley joined the firm of Semmes, Bowen & Semmes in 1971 after service in the United States Navy. Throughout his career, Mr. Stanley has represented diverse clients regarding disputes arising under a wide variety of commercial and insurance contracts. His particular focus has been on advising clients in connection with claims involving construction and procurement projects and in defending life, health and disability insurers in the state and federal courts of Maryland and the District of Columbia and before arbitration panels. His service to construction industry clients has included advice concerning the drafting, negotiation and administration of construction contracts in an effort to avoid disputes. He has been a frequent speaker to various professional groups on these topics.
Mr. Stanley is a trained mediator and arbitrator. For the last 18-20 years, he has frequently served as an arbitrator or mediator of disputes under construction, commercial and insurance contracts. He is a member of the American Arbitration Association National Panel of Commercial Arbitrators, a member of its Mediation Panel and has been approved as a mediator by the Circuit Courts for Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Howard County. He has been certified as a mediator by the ADR Oversight Committee of the Business and Technology Case Management Program in the Circuit Courts of Maryland. He is a member of the FINRA Dispute Resolution Board of Arbitrators, the Panel of Neutrals of ADR Maryland and a member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (NADN) .
Mr. Stanley has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 2006 and was selected as a Maryland Super Lawyer by Baltimore Magazine and the Maryland Super Lawyer Magazine beginning in 2007. He has achieved an A/V rating from Martindale Hubbell, the highest possible peer review rating for ethics and legal ability.
Selected Publications and Speaking Engagements
• Practical Construction Law For Maryland Contractors , June, 2014
•Faculty Member, MSBA Mediator Training Program, Effective Mediation of Commercial, Insurance and other Multi-Issue Disputes , March, 2013 and March, 2014
•Speaker: Dispute Resolution Provisions in Contracts , Maryland State Bar Association Business Law Institute, Columbia, MD, April 7, 2011
•Speaker: Advanced Alternative Dispute Resolution in Complex Construction Disputes , Maryland State Bar Association, Construction Litigation Section, Baltimore, MD, January 13, 2011
• Effective Use of Mediation, Arbitration and Other Dispute Resolution Procedures in Commercial and Construction Disputes , Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers, Columbia, MD, May 3, 2006 and June 16, 2009
•Speaker: The Construction Contracts Program: Understanding and Negotiating the Clauses in the New Industry Form Documents , Regional Meeting of the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, Philadelphia, PA, November 6, 2008
• Challenges to Life Insurers: Fraudulent Foreign Death Claims , 49 For the Defense p. 45, January 2007
•Speaker: Advanced Construction Law in Maryland , presented by National Business Institute, Inc., Baltimore, MD, November 28, 2001, November 7, 2002 and April 20, 2005
•Speaker: Maryland Construction Lien Law , presented By Lorman Business Systems, Inc., Baltimore, MD, April 3, 1998 and June 2, 1999; Rockville, MD, September 11, 2001; Rockville, MD, January 6, 2005; and Baltimore, MD, January 20, 2005
• Can Individual Claimants Run to the Regulatory Agency to Recover Benefits Instead of To Court? , presented to meeting of DRI Life, Health, Disability/ERISA Committee, April 12, 2002
• Indoor Air Quality: Is It An Issue for Architects? presented to Annual Meeting of Maryland Society, American Institute of Architects, College Park, MD, September 28, 2001
•Member of faculty, MICPEL/MSBA Committee on Construction Litigation Program, Fundamentals of Construction Law: Role of the Design Professional , University of Maryland Law School, March 1996, March 1997 and March 1999
•Speaker: Construction Industry Dispute Resolution: Benefits and Pitfalls? Where is it Heading? , presented to Second Annual Meeting of DRI Construction Law Committee, San Diego, CA, March 13, 1997
•Speaker and Co-Moderator: MICPEL/MSBA Construction Litigation Committee programs on Alternative Disputes Resolution Techniques in Construction Litigation , Engineering Center, Baltimore, MD, May 1987 and May 1995
• Mechanic's Liens and Other Ways to Get Paid , Seminar sponsored by Homebuilders Association of Maryland, November 9, 1994 (Also at Baltimore, Maryland Office)