Trent is a member of the firm's Labor & Employment practice group, where his focus is on traditional labor matters, as well as employee discrimination litigation.
With more than 20 years experience as a labor and employment attorney, Trent is a valued management resource in addressing the ever-changing landscape of workplace law. Trent has represented employers in nationwide FLSA collective actions, NLRB proceedings, federal employment litigation, as well as state court wrongful discharge and neutral third-party arbitration proceedings. His practice includes providing compliance advice and strategic counsel to Human Resources and corporate legal teams throughout the Southeast.
Trent received his undergraduate degree (B.A., cum laude, 1991) from Rhodes College and his Juris Doctor from the University of Alabama School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1994). While studying at the University of Alabama, Trent was a member of the Order of the Coif and was an editor for the Alabama Law Review.
Trent is a member of the Alabama State Bar. He is admitted in the U.S. District Courts for Alabama and the Eleventh Circuit and Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Trent has been recognized by Chambers USA, received an AV preeminent rating by Martindale Hubbell and has been named in the Best Lawyer's listing since 2010.
Outside of his law practice, Trent is an active in many different community endeavors. He was selected for the 2014 Children's of Alabama's Committee for the Future and is currently serving as a Captain for the Downtown YMCA's annual Campaign for a Healthy Community. Trent is a volunteer league commissioner and coach for Mountain Brook Athletics. He is a member of the Birmingham Tip Off Club and a proud supporter of Mountain Brook High School's basketball team.
• Employer Best Practices in Corporate Wellness Plans, Birmingham Business Journal, July 18, 2014.
• The New and Expanded Americans with Disabilities Act, co-author. The Alabama State Bar. 70 Ala.Law 38 (2009)
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer
Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Labor & Employment (2008-2009)
The Best Lawyers in America
Children's of Alabama's Committee for the Future (2014)
Captain, Downtown YMCA's annual Campaign for a Healthy Community (2014-2015)
Volunteer League Commissioner and Coach, Mountain Brook Athletics
Member, Birmingham Tip Off Club
• Debruge and Childs Alabama Law Survey on Employee Privacy Laws Published to Practical Law
• Burr Alert: WTF, Under the NLRB, Employers Should Cut the Crap?
• Why, Again, Do You Think that Worker is an Independent Contractor?
• Birmingham Medical News: Same-Sex Marriage Issues for Employers
• Burr Alert: 2014's Hottest Employment Rulings Affecting Southeastern Employers
• Burr & Forman Adds Employment Counsel in Birmingham